For a wonderfully indulgent but super easy-to-make festive treat, try this combination of mulled wine and dairy-free hot chocolate! Top with vegan whipped cream and marshmallows to make it extra special.
I cannot believe it has taken me this long to combine these two festive drinks.
Hot chocolate + Mulled wine = ❤️️
Perfect for a cosy evening treat, preferably by a roaring fire…
To intensify the chocolate-y mulled wine goodness, I used a grating of Rococo’s Mulled Wine Chocolate bar on top!
I’m also giving away a selection of Rococo vegan chocolate, so click here if you want a chance to win.
- Red wine – Make sure it’s vegan-friendly wine. Fruity wines work very well here!
- Whole spices – Cinnamon sticks, star anise, all spice berries and cloves.
You can also use a mulled wine spice sachet if you prefer.
- Orange and/or lemon – You can just use the peel or add whole slices.
- Demerara sugar
- Dark chocolate – I used a 70% dark chocolate but you can also use dairy-free milk chocolate, bearing in mind it will be a bit sweeter.
- Cocoa powder
- Dairy-free milk – Unsweetened. I’m using Oatly barista as it is a bit thicker and mixes really well in hot drinks but Soy, Almond, Coconut etc. will all work fine.
- Optional extras – Dairy-free whipped cream, vegan marshmallows, grated chocolate all make wonderful toppings.
☕ Step by step
Make the mulled wine by adding the spices, orange slice, sugar and wine to a small saucepan and simmering for 10 minutes.
Use a sieve to drain the wine into a jug or bowl.
Using the same small saucepan, gently heat the chocolate, cocoa powder and milk together until the chocolate has melted.
Give it a good whisk and remove from the heat.
Pour the mulled wine into the hot chocolate and stir to combine.
Then pour the mixture into two mugs to serve!
Enjoy it just as it is, with a cinnamon stick or add some vegan whipped cream, marshmallows or grated chocolate (or all three).
That’s it! So easy for such an incredibly delicious treat.
If you enjoy this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creation on my stories!
- 150 ml (½ cup + 2 tbsp) red wine
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 4 allspice berries
- 1-2 tbsp Demerara sugar, depending on how sweet you want it
- 500 ml (approx 2 cups) unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50 g / 1.7 oz dark chocolate, broken into small chunks
- (optional) Vegan whipped cream and marshmallows
- Pour the red wine into a small saucepan and add the spices, citrus fruit and sugar. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain through a sieve into a bowl or jug.
- Using the same small saucepan, heat the milk, cocoa powder and chocolate together on medium heat. Once the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and whisk well to make sure the cocoa powder has dissolved.
- Add the mulled wine to the hot cocoa.
- Pour into two mugs and serve with a cinnamon stick. Add some vegan whipped cream and marshmallows too, with a little grating of chocolate, if you fancy!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 320Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 12mgSodium 79mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 8gSugar 36gProtein 7g