The best way to use roast dinner leftovers! These bubble and squeak cakes are made with half potatoes & onion and half vegetables such as sprouts, cabbage, carrots and parsnips.
I have an obsession with roast dinners. They’re not just for Sundays or special occasions in my house, it’s quite a regular meal.
And when I do make a roast, I always make more than I need – that way I get to enjoy these baked bubble & squeak cakes the next day!
These make the perfect boxing day breakfast, for this reason.
They take just 5-10 minutes to prepare and make a delicious breakfast, brunch or as a side for dinner time.
These cakes are, of course, delicious fried too. I choose to bake them not only because it’s a much healthier option but also it mean I can just bung them in the oven and forget about them for 25 minutes, instead of standing over a pan.
I recommend serving them with veggie sausages and some onion gravy for a proper meal, but are delicious just as they are with a bit of ketchup.
Baked Bubble & Squeak Cakes
These baked Bubble & Squeak cakes are the most delicious way to use up leftover roast vegetables! Simply mash together, shape and bake.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Approx 500 g /1 lb leftover potatoes (mashed or roasted)
- Approx 150g/ 5 ½ oz leftover cooked vegetables (carrots, cabbage or Brussels sprouts etc.)
- Plain or gluten-free flour, for dusting
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200c. and line a baking tray with paper or foil.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes on medium heat, until softened and browned.
- Tip the onion into a food processor with the leftover potato and vegetables. Mix for a few seconds. The mixture should be chunky but should hold together when you shape them into patties.
- Roll them into balls, then flatten them slightly before placing them on the baking tray. Brush with the remaining oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve on their own, with a bit of ketchup or with some vegan sausages for a hearty breakfast.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size ¼ recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 158Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 50mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 4g
I like a poached egg and hot chilli sauce with these!
After cooking these and letting them cool if I freeze them will I have to defrost before reheating to eat or can I cook from frozen?
Hi Nicola, I think you could cook them straight from frozen in the oven. You might need to give them 30-40 minutes though.
Hi – i’m a huge fan of bubble and squeak, if there are no leftovers from a roast then I’m lost.
Can these be reheated in a microwave – thinking perfect xmas’y bring a dish for work but we dont have an oven?
Yes! I have reheated these before and it works well. Enjoy :)