This breakfast is something in-between a savoury French toast and scrambled eggs on toast so I wasn’t sure what to call it. “Eggy” toast is the best I could come up with.
Anyway, It’s toast, spread with an eggy chickpea flour mixture, grilled with asparagus spears on top and it is so delicious!
It makes the perfect, comforting spring breakfast and can be ready in under 15 minutes.
Serve it on it’s own or add some extra grilled veggies on the side. Grilled mushrooms and tomatoes are amazing with this toast!
I used sourdough bread because that’s my favourite but feel free to use wholemeal, plain white or whatever takes your fancy.
This breakfast is:
- Vegetarian and vegan
- Low-fat (only 1.5g per serving!)
- High in plant-based protein (14.5g per serving)
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour
- optional 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- optional 1 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 asparagus spears
- Preheat the grill.
- Mix the chickpea flour with the nutritional yeast, black salt (if using) garlic powder and black salt. Stir in a tablespoon of water at a time until you have a thick but pourable consistency.
- Spread the mixture onto the bread slices and arrange the asparagus spears on top.
- Grill for approximately 8 minutes until the asparagus is cooked and the chickpea mixture has firmed up.
- Serve on it's own or with some grilled tomatoes or mushrooms. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 270Carbohydrates 52.5gFiber 4.9gProtein 14.5g
What’s your favourite breakfast?