Thank you Debenhams for sponsoring this recipe!
Since I already have a sweet pancake recipe, I thought I would try a savoury option this pancake day: with these delicious, healthy chickpea flour crepes.
I often start these posts with “this is my new favourite recipe” and I always intend to make these recipes over and over again but often that doesn’t happen – I tend to always prefer experimenting with new recipes. However, a select few really do become recipes I make all the time, and these savoury chickpea pancakes are now one of them!
I think that’s because this recipe is so easy, so delicious, healthy and can be mixed up with different flavours so it doesn’t get boring. Plus, they’re naturally gluten-free, grain-free, vegan and lower in carbs, making them suitable for a wide range of diets.
The fact that Debenhams sent me a crepe maker to cook them makes it all the more easy for me to enjoy them every morning. They’ve also provided one to giveaway to one of you guys so scroll down to enter now!
In this recipe, I’m serving the crepes with creamy mushrooms and spinach which is my most favourite way to serve them so far. But really they go with anything, so feel free to switch it up.
I use a crepe-maker but you can absolutely make these with a frying pan too, I will cover that more in the recipe instructions below.
But if you like the sound of a crepe-maker, then you’re in luck because Debenhams have offered one as part of a giveaway (scroll down to enter!) I’ve always wanted to own of these and Breville’s crepe maker has not disappointed me. Easy to use, easy to clean and makes the most perfect, professional-looking crepes.
- 160g / 1 cup gram flour (chickpea flour*)
- 240ml / 1 cup water
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- Olive oil
- Olive oil
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- Cashew cheese sauce (or you can use shop-bought vegan cream cheese)
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chickpea flour and water. Don't worry if the mixture is a bit lumpy or thin.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up your crepe maker (heat setting 4) or a non-stick frying pan, brushed with a small amount of oil.
- Add a ladle-full of mixture and spread out, adding more mixture if needed to cover the base of the crepe maker or frying pan. Cook for approximately 4 minutes before gently flipping over and cooking the other side, until golden brown.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a pan and cook the sliced mushrooms on medium heat for a few minutes until lightly browned and softened. Add the spinach and stir well to allow it to cook down.
- Add a few dollops of the vegan cheese sauce and stir everything together. Add a drop of water if it's too thick. Allow to simmer for a couple of minutes to heat through.
- Serve the chickpea crepes folded, stuffed with a dollop of the creamy mushroom filling. Enjoy!
Pancake Day Giveaway! (UK)
Closes 17/3/2017. Open to UK only. Full T&Cs in the widget.