Thank you Circulon for sponsoring this post!
A few weeks back, I asked my readers on Twitter what recipe they’d like to see next on the blog and there was a big percentage asking for vegan French toast – so here it is!
It was perfect timing for this post as around the same time, I was asked by Circulon if I’d like to try one of their non-stick pans from their new Ultimum range. It seemed like the ideal opportunity to make that French toast…
They sent me the Circulon 24cm Skillet from their new Ultimum high density & forged cookware range. It’s ultra non-stick (PFOA free!) and dishwasher-safe which makes things so quick & easy and is totally in keeping with the theme of this recipe. It just suits my laziness in general.
But back to this French toast… I just love how something that is so simple to make and ready in a flash can taste this indulgent! Perfect for Sunday mornings when you want something special for breakfast but nothing too complicated to make.
The base recipe is delicious with all sorts of toppings. I chose to just add some cooked mixed berries, some maple syrup and a dollop of coconut yoghurt which definitely hit the spot.
This breakfast is:
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour*
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice (or pumpkin pie spice mix)
- 120ml / ½ cup rice milk (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or mild-flavoured oil
- 4 thick slices of soft bread (white or wholegrain / gluten-free, if neeed)
- Maple syrup, fruit, coconut yoghurt
- Whisk the chickpea flour, spices, milk, vanilla and salt together in a shallow container.
- Gently heat the butter or oil in a skillet.
- Dip a slice of the bread into the mixture and coat well on each side. Place in the skillet and fry on medium heat for a minute on each side until golden brown.
- Repeat with the other slices.
- Serve with fruit, syrup and yoghurt. Enjoy!