Indulgent vegan French toast that is incredibly easy to make, for a relaxing weekend breakfast. This frugal recipe makes use of stale bread, which provides an excellent excuse for cooking this dish.
Today I’m sharing with you how to make the BEST vegan French Toast with one magical ingredient.
This recipe has now become a weekend staple for me. I just love how something that is so simple to make and ready in a flash can taste this indulgent!
This vegan French toast recipe is quick and easy to make, with frugal and easy-to-find ingredients.
The secret ingredient here is chickpea flour. Don’t worry, this is really easy to find, inexpensive and will make the best tasting French toast, I promise.
The chickpea flour, Besan or “gram flour” is used as an egg substitute and works fantastically to create that familiar texture and flavour.
Find it in the supermarket, either in the World Food or health food aisle, Indian grocery stores, health food shops or online.
The best bread to use for French toast
It’s important to use the right kind of bread here, for the best results.
We want thick cut, freshly baked bread or Ciabatta, not flimsy thin-sliced bread from a packet.
The bread I used in these photos was a day-old loaf of white Farmhouse bread, cut into thick slices.
- Prepare your bread – If not already slice, cut into thick slices.
- Mix your batter – Whisk the chickpea flour, with the seasonings, whilst slowly incorporating the dairy-free milk, to avoid too many lumps.
- Heat your skillet with a little oil or vegan butter
- Dip each slice into the batter, for 15-30 seconds, depending on how dry your bread is.
- Fry for a minute on each side, until golden.
And that’s it! Time to add toppings.
Vegan French Toast Topping Ideas
Topping options are endless but here are just a few ideas:
- Maple or golden syrup
- Powdered Sugar and ground cinnamon
- Mixed berries or berry compote
- Strawberries & Cream
- Stewed rhubarb & vegan custard
- Vegan bacon strips
- Coconut yoghurt
So there it is. The best vegan French toast for the perfect Sunday morning breakfast.
Just right for when you want something special but nothing too complicated to make.
The base recipe is delicious with all sorts of toppings. I chose to just add some cooked mixed berries, some maple syrup and a dollop of coconut yoghurt which definitely hit the spot.
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour*
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice, or pumpkin pie spice mix
- 120 ml dairy-free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or mild-flavoured oil
- 4 thick slices of soft bread, white or wholegrain / gluten-free, if neeed
- Maple syrup, fruit, coconut yoghurt
- Whisk the chickpea flour, spices, milk, vanilla and salt together in a shallow container.
- Gently heat the butter or oil in a skillet.
- Dip a slice of the bread into the mixture and coat well on each side. If your bread is quite dry, leave to soak for about 20-30 seconds.
- Place the soaked slice in the skillet and fry on medium heat for a minute on each side until golden brown.
- Repeat with the other slices.
- Serve with fruit, syrup and yoghurt. Enjoy!
*Don't worry this is SO easy to find! It's sometimes called gram flour or besan flour and you can find it in most supermarkets (in the world food aisle), Asian markets or health food shops.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size g
Amount Per Serving Calories 375Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 22mgSodium 276mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 3gSugar 32gProtein 9g