Fluffy dairy-free scones with dried fruit. Easy and therapeutic to bake and comforting to eat, especially warm from the oven with a good-tasting vegan butter or some jam.
If you’ve been following my recipes for a while, you’ll think by now that I have a scone obsession.
And you would be correct to think that. It is indeed an obsession.
As one of my all-time favourite treats and probably the thing I bake most regularly, it had to become one of the first recipes I veganized when I became vegan over two years ago.
This time, I’ve paired up with Laura Ashley to turn them into the perfect afternoon tea treat.
By baking the scones with brewed tea, spices and vine fruits, you get the most comforting, subtly sweet and moreish scone.
So if you’re taking part in Veganuary or are new to veganism or a dairy-free diet, then know that you absolutely do not have to miss out on afternoon teas. See my guide here for more details!
Serve these fruit scones with
- 475 g self-raising flour
- 70 g caster sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- 75 g good-tasting vegan butter substitute, (I like Flora dairy-free or Vitalite)
- 240 ml strong brewed tea, left to cool
- A large handful of mixed vine fruits or sultanas
- Preheat the oven to 190C / 370F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt and spices.
- Add the vegan butter in a tsp at a time and use your fingers to rub it into the flour. Alternatively, use a food processor or stand mixer
- When the butter is fully incorporated and the mixture resembles a dense sand, slowly add the cold tea and mix. You don't need to use all the tea, just use enough until you get a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed briefly. Add the dried fruit at this point. Flatten into a ¾ inch thick dough and cut out the scones using a small cookie cutter or upside down glass.
- Transfer the scones to the baking sheet and brush with a small amount of leftover tea. Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden.
- Enjoy warm from the oven with some vegan butter & jam! Serve with a pot of tea in your fanciest teapot
Nutrition InformationYield 15 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 202Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 11mgSodium 420mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 2gSugar 12gProtein 4g