Light fluffy vegan scones with delicate rosewater flavour. Perfect served with some apricot jam!
If you’re a regular reader of my blog, you’ve probably realised by now that I have a scone obsession.
It’s an obsession that’s been going on since I was a small child and it wasn’t about to change when I began eating a vegan diet!
Swapping butter for a good tasting dairy-free butter and milk for almond milk (or whatever milk you choose) results in the exact same taste your used to from regular scones.
I even have a recipe for vegan clotted cream to serve with scones! So there is no missing out when it comes to afternoon tea.
These scones are gently flavoured with rose water to give a subtle floral flavour that I find absolutely addictive.
Pairing it with apricot jam takes it to a whole other level, trust me – you need to try them together.
Make these scones as part of a vegan afternoon tea or as a home made treat for your mum this Mother’s day!
- 475 g self-raising flour
- 70 g caster sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 75 g vegan spread, I used Vitalite
- 240 ml almond milk, or other dairy-free milk + extra for glazing
- ½ tsp rose water + extra for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 390f and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the vegan butter in a teaspoon at a time and use your fingers to rub it into the flour. Alternatively, use a food processor or stand mixer.
- When the butter is fully incorporated and the mixture resembles a dense sand, slowly add the milk and rose water. Mix until it forms a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed briefly. Flatten into a ¾ inch thick dough and cut out the scones using a small cookie cutter or upside down glass. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet and brush with a small amount of almond milk mixed with a tiny drop of rose water.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Enjoy warm from the oven with some vegan butter or apricot jam (so good!)
Nutrition InformationYield 15 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 142Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 1mgSodium 396mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 4g