It’s Autumn and you know what that means? It’s pumpkin time.
You might not think it, but it turns out pumpkin is the perfect addition to Mac ‘n’ Cheese. It’s smooth, creamy and adds a sweet but earthy flavour to create the silkiest, tastiest pasta sauce! Even if you think you don’t like pumpkin, you’ve got to try this…
Now, I know I called this “Mac ‘n’ Cheese” but there isn’t any actual cheese in this. Not even any fake cheese. But somehow, this combination of ingredients creates a familiar, cheesy taste and texture. I won’t lie, it’s not the same as classic dairy Mac ‘n’ Cheese but it’s just as good, in its own right. If you can get hold of some nutritional yeast (found in health food stores and most supermarkets) it also adds a lot of extra cheesy flavour, plus it’s very good for you too.
I also added some kale which not only makes this extra healthy but adds a wonderful contrasting texture and flavour. The crunchy, earthy green mixed with the smooth, soft glowing orange of the pumpkin sauce. I like to top mine with some seeds for a more crunchy texture.
To make this recipe, Laura Ashley sent me this Cockerel Serving Bowl, to serve this giant portion of deliciousness! And to decorate the table, I chose this beautiful Autumn Bouquet and a mismatch of pumpkins and squashes.
This would make a great dish to share with friends or a make-ahead dinner/lunch for the week, which can easily be reheated or eaten cold.
See the full post on Laura Ashley!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
- 250 ml full-fat coconut milk, or other unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 300 g cooked pumpkin or squash, mashed or blended, (or you can use 300g tinned pumpkin after Halloween season has ended)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 500 g dried pasta
- 120 g kale, washed and chopped
- 5 tbsp mixed seeds, (optional)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes, (optional)
- Add the olive oil to a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir in the starch and mix with a wooden spoon until dissolved.
- Stir in the milk until well combined and it begins to thicken. Then mix in the rest of the ingredients, except for the pasta. Stir until you have a thick, glossy, smooth mixture and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet's instructions until al dente. During the last two minutes of cooking, add the kale to the water.
- Drain the pasta and kale then mix with the sauce for a minute until well combined. Top with the seed mix and nutritional yeast (for an extra cheesy flavour) and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size bowl
Amount Per Serving Calories 487 Saturated Fat 8g Sodium 225mg Carbohydrates 73g Fiber 5g Sugar 4g Protein 15g