A rich and creamy Alfredo sauce made with store cupboard ingredients? That’s right! This vegan recipe is great for when you need something quick, easy and comforting without a supermarket trip.
This has store-cupboard pasta recipe been my go-to when I’m stuck at home. For quick, easy and seriously comforting goodness.
I love this recipe because it relies on just shelf-stable ingredients, if you haven’t had a chance to go to the shop to buy fresh. Also, it happens to be extremely rich and delicious.
This sauce is based off my cashew cheese sauce, which I use a lot in cooking because it is so versatile.
I know cashews aren’t the most frugal ingredient but a small amount goes a really long way here.
This recipe is also delicious served with cooked mushrooms, spinach or whatever other vegetables and toppings you might have to hand.
I often just have it plain, though! Cheesy pasta is all you need, sometimes.
And of course, you can use this with any kind of pasta such as fusilli, bows, penne, spaghetti etc. or gluten-free alternatives.
More Store-Cupboard Vegan Meals
- 75 g /1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 250 ml / 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk (oat, almond, soy or coconut all work well)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- (Optional) ½ tbsp marmite or miso paste
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- A generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 400 g / 14 oz dried fettuccine or tagliatelle nests (make sure they don't contain egg)
- Fresh or dried parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the cashews overnight or boil for a few minutes in a small saucepan, to soften them.
- Add to a blender, along with the rest of the sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth, adding more milk if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet's instructions.
- When the pasta is just about a minute away from being fully cooked, drain, return to the pan and mix in the sauce. Heat gently for a couple of minutes to warm through, adding more milk if it gets too thick.
- To serve, season with extra black pepper and fresh or dried parsley.
If only serving for 1-2, keep leftover sauce in the fridge for up to 3-4 days for a quick go-to meal.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 475Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 16mgSodium 481mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 18g