This fresh and light one-pot pasta dish has been a favourite of mine this summer. It satisfies without being too heavy and is perfect served with a glass of white wine.
I’ve also made it before with brown rice pasta, which is an excellent and nutritions gluten-free alternative to wheat spaghetti and tastes just as great.
I love the uplifting flavours in this dish coming from the zesty lemons and sweet peas with a hit of spice from the chilli and mustard.
You won’t need any cheese but if you do fancy an extra cheesy flavouring, I’ve added the option of nutritional yeast which adds a subtle cheesiness to the sauce which gives that familiar flavour without being too overwhelming to the rest of the dish.
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 200 g / 7 oz spaghetti (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini) coarsely grated
- 150 g / 5 ¼ oz frozen peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 medium red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh or frozen basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 4 tbsp unsweetened dairy-free milk (almond, soy or oat)
- (optional) 4 tbsp nutritional yeast, for a subtle cheesy flavour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the spaghetti, for about 10 minutes, until just al dente. During the last couple of minutes, add the courgette and frozen peas.
- Drain the pasta and rinse to remove any starchy water. Leave in the strainer and return the empty pan to the stove.
- Add in the olive oil. Stir in the spring onions, lemon zest, chilli and garlic. Cook on low-medium heat until softened.
- Stir in the herbs, spices, seasonings and nutritional yeast and dairy-free if needed, to create a thin sauce.
- Add the drained pasta and vegetables back into the pot and stir on the heat for a couple of minutes to warm through and coat in the sauce.
- Top with a squeeze of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 323Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 27mgSodium 611mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 6gSugar 5gProtein 18g