It’s Autumn and you know what that means? It’s pumpkin time.
You might not think it, but it turns out pumpkin is the perfect addition to Mac ‘n’ Cheese. It’s smooth, creamy and adds a sweet but earthy flavour to create the silkiest, tastiest pasta sauce!
Now, I know I called this “Mac ‘n’ Cheese” but there isn’t any actual cheese in this. Not even any fake cheese.
But somehow, this combination of ingredients creates a familiar, cheesy taste and texture.
How to make Mac ‘n’ Cheese with pumpkin puree
Ingredients you will need
- Pumpkin – You can use a tin of pumpkin puree or you can make your own using fresh or leftover pumpkin.
- Dairy-free milk – I use coconut milk here because it’s rich and creamy, but oat or soy milk works great too.
- Olive oil
- Corn starch – Or arrowroot powder
- Pasta – You can use classic dried macaroni or any other small pasta shapes you prefer.
- Seasonings – Nutmeg, turmeric, onion and garlic powder, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Nutritional yeast – For a cheesy flavour
- (optional) Kale – for some added green goodness
Making the sauce
- Starting with cooking the oil in a pan and dissolving the starch into it, to create a roux.
- The pumpkin, milk and seasonings are all added and cooked to create a smooth, thick, creamy texture.
- Then you simply cook the pasta, as you would normally, stir the sauce into it, adding some cooked kale if you want some added greens.
- That’s it! You now have a super rich, creamy but healthy vegan mac and cheese.
More Vegan Pasta Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, or other unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 150 g / 5 oz pumpkin puree*
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- A pinch of salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes*
- 200 g / 7 oz dried pasta
- 100 g kale, washed and chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds, (optional)
- Add the olive oil to a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir in the starch and mix with a wooden spoon until dissolved.
- Stir in the milk until well combined and it begins to thicken. Then mix in the rest of the ingredients, except for the pasta. Stir until you have a thick, glossy, smooth mixture and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet's instructions until al dente.
- Optional: During the last two minutes of cooking, add the kale to the water.
- Drain the pasta and kale, if using, then mix with the sauce for a minute until well combined. Top with the seed mix and nutritional yeast (for an extra cheesy flavour) and serve!
*You can buy this tinned or use home cooked pumpkin or squash, mashed or blended
*Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, used to give a cheesy flavour to dishes. It can be found in most supermarkets, health stores or online.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size bowl
Amount Per Serving Calories 261Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 5mgSodium 88mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 10g