This vegan mushroom lasagna is creamy, rich, flavourful, comforting and oh so satisfying to eat. The tastiest vegan lasagna I’ve tried so far, that just so happens to be gluten-free too!
Thank you Sacla’ for sponsoring this recipe!
A good vegan lasagna is hard to come by. But guys… I think I’ve found one of the best, if I may say so.
Sliced mushrooms are used in place of meat and I use Sacla’s new free-from bechamel sauce to add the creamy element.
Vegan cheese or nutritional yeast is totally optional – I’ve tried it both with and without and BOTH are delicious.
I tested this dish out on my meat-eating friend who absolutely loved it and even asked for seconds, so this is definitely a dish the whole family can enjoy, regardless of their diet.
More Gluten-free Vegan Dinners
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 400 g / 14 oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp mixed Italian dried herbs (Basil, oregano, thyme)
- 1 x 400 g / 14 oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- 240 ml / 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
For the lasagna
Make the bolognese sauce
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the onions, garlic, grated carrot, salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and tomato puree. Mix to combine.
- Add the vinegar, herbs, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the cornflour mixture and simmer for approximately 10 minutes until reduced and thickened.
Make the lasagna
- Preheat oven to 200C / 350f.
- Pre-cook lasagna sheets, according to packet's instructions.
- Add a small amount of sauce to the bottom of the pan, enough to coat the bottom.
- Add a layer of lasagna sheets.
- Smooth 2 tbsp white sauce on top.
- Then top with more bolognese. Repeat until the last layer of lasagna sheets.
- Top with the remainder of the bolognese sauce. Then smooth the rest of the white sauce on top. Add some grated vegan cheese, if desired.
- Bake 20 mins.