This vegan mushroom lasagna is creamy, rich, flavourful, comforting and oh so satisfying to eat. The tastiest vegan lasagna I’ve tried so far, that just so happens to be gluten-free too!
Thank you Sacla’ for sponsoring this recipe!
A good vegan lasagna is hard to come by. But guys… I think I’ve found one of the best, if I may say so.
Sliced mushrooms are used in place of meat and I use Sacla’s new free-from bechamel sauce to add the creamy element.
Vegan cheese or nutritional yeast is totally optional – I’ve tried it both with and without and BOTH are delicious.
I tested this dish out on my meat-eating friend who absolutely loved it and even asked for seconds, so this is definitely a dish the whole family can enjoy, regardless of their diet.
More Gluten-free Vegan Dinners
Spicy Bean Stew with Sweet Potato & Kale
Vegan Mushroom Lasagna (Gluten-free)
A delicious, comforting vegan mushroom lasagna that is also gluten-free!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 400 g / 14 oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp mixed Italian dried herbs (Basil, oregano, thyme)
- 1 x 400 g / 14 oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- 240 ml / 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
For the lasagna
- 12 gluten-free lasagna sheets
- 1 tin Sacla' free-from Besciamella white sauce
- Optional vegan cheese, , grated
Make the bolognese sauce
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the onions, garlic, grated carrot, salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and tomato puree. Mix to combine.
- Add the vinegar, herbs, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the cornflour mixture and simmer for approximately 10 minutes until reduced and thickened.
Make the lasagna
- Preheat oven to 200C / 350f.
- Pre-cook lasagna sheets, according to packet's instructions.
- Add a small amount of sauce to the bottom of the pan, enough to coat the bottom.
- Add a layer of lasagna sheets.
- Smooth 2 tbsp white sauce on top.
- Then top with more bolognese. Repeat until the last layer of lasagna sheets.
- Top with the remainder of the bolognese sauce. Then smooth the rest of the white sauce on top. Add some grated vegan cheese, if desired.
- Bake 20 mins.
Hey there! The link to the bechamel sauce doesn’t seem to be working- do you have the recipe somewhere / could you repost it?
Do you have the nutritional info for this dish ?
Hello Aimee! This looks amazing. I am making this for my daughter and son in law for a family gathering. I want to make it ahead of the event and wondering if I should bake it before freezing or not? And should it be defrosted before going in oven. I am new to vegan cooking
Love that this is a simple lasagne recipe and it looks so hearty and delicious! Definitely a must try.
I made your recipe tonight, next time I would use more mushrooms and as I didn’t know where to buy the bechemel sauce, I just made my own style vegan sauce to go with it. I’m not vegan myself, I made for my daughter and son in law. Not bad for my first attempt though