Looking for a delicious, quick, easy, healthy and frugal dinner recipe? This vegan Spicy Bean & Sweet Potato Chilli ticks all those boxes!
I’m in the process of re-visiting some old recipes and giving them a re-vamp with some new photos and video instructions so you might see some familiar recipes resurfacing every now and then!
I created this sweet potato & kidney bean chilli recipe three years ago and is still one of my staple favourites. It’s just SO easy to make and packs in so much flavour and nutrition.
Things I love about this sweet potato chilli
It’s full of flavour
For a recipe so minimalistic, it really packs a punch. With cayenne pepper, cinnamon and cumin to add spice and depth of flavour.
Simple to cook
This dish is definitely suitable for anyone who is new to cooking or suffers with executive dysfunction.
The prep is just peeling and chopping the sweet potato, garlic and onion, all of which you can buy pre-chopped or frozen to help you further.
It’s all in one pot
One pot means less washing up – hooray!
Full of nutritional goodness
I put this recipe into Cronometer (a nutrient tracking site/app) and the results were impressive.
It meets over 100% of your vitamin A and K needs, very high in Vitamin C, provides 8.2g fibre and has 9.3g protein. Full nutritional breakdown under the recipe.
If you serve this recipe with some rice, you’ll create a complete protein. The combination of rice and beans mean you’ll get all the essential amino acids.
A budget-friendly recipe
Recipes centred around tinned beans and chopped tomatoes are great if you’re trying to be frugal.
More Easy Vegan Dinners
If you enjoy this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creation on my stories!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper , (Optional - for extra heat)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 400 g / 14 oz tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400 g / 14 oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100 g / 3.5 ozkale, washed and chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the sweet potatoes, onion and garlic. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until the veg has softened slightly.
- Stir in the chili, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and cumin and cook for a futher couple of minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and chopped tomatoes, stir to coat the vegetables thoroughly then simmer gently for 30-35 minutes. Add a little water if it becomes too thick.
- At the last minute, add the kale. Don't over cook it, just let it wilt slightly so it retains colour and texture.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size ¼ recipe (302 g)
Amount Per Serving Calories 325Total Fat 4.6gSaturated Fat 0.7gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 217mgCarbohydrates 38.5gFiber 8.2gSugar 12.5gProtein 9.3g
The nutritional information was updated on 27/08/2021 using Cronometer