Thank you Explore Cuisine for sponsoring this post!
Quick, easy and healthy dinners are the best.
Preferably something that takes under 30 minutes, requires minimal preparation and washing up and is made with wholesome, healthy ingredients.
When Explore Cuisine sent me some of their new Chickpea Pasta to make a recipe with, I wanted to create something that was both healthy, to make the most of it’s high protein & fibre plus something that’s quick and easy to cook.
Calling this Ratatouille Spaghetti was actually an after thought. Originally, I just meant for it to be a one-pot vegetable spaghetti but then it dawned on me that it’s essentially ratatouille. And that had more of a ring to it, I thought!
Gluten-free pastas can be hit or miss. Generally, there are some really great ones out there but I’ve definitely tried a few that I wouldn’t taste again, even if you paid me too.
Thankfully, this Chickpea Spaghetti was on of the best. Especially texture-wise, I feel this spaghetti held together much better than other gluten-free pastas. No sogginess, just that perfect bite and texture.
And the fact it’s so healthy is definitely a bonus!
The great thing about using gluten-free spaghetti in one-pot dishes is that the starch, from the spaghetti, mixes with the water to create a sauce. A lovely, thick sauce.
The other great thing about these one-pot pasta dishes (particularly when using a pasta with a great nutritional profile, such as this chickpea pasta) is you don’t lose out on any of the nutrients.
Usually we throw the cooking water away but here, the cooking water becomes part of the sauce and therefore still contains all of the nutritional goodness.
This dish is:
[li]Vegetarian & vegan[/li]
[li]Ready in under 30 minutes[/li]
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium courgette, zuchinni, diced
- 1/2 aubergine, eggplant, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 480 ml boiled water
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 150 g dried gluten-free spaghetti, (I used Explore Cuisine Chickpea Spaghetti)
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes, (Optional - for a cheesy taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onions, garlic, courgette, aubergine and peppers. Cook for a few minutes on a high heat until lightly browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water, vinegar and spaghetti. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes until the pasta is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped basil and add salt and pepper, to taste. Add the nutritional yeast, if using.
- Serve and enjoy!
Explore Cuisine’s Chickpea Spaghetti is available in ASDA, Holland & Barrett and Planet Organic. Retail price is £3.29.