A light and creamy vegan risotto making the most of seasonal Spring vegetables, including asparagus, spring onions and peas.
Thank you Circulon for sponsoring this recipe.
I’m a big fan of risottos and already have a risotto recipe for almost every season, it was just missing a Spring-themed recipe.
So here is a fresh, flavourful, light but still ultra creamy and comforting Primavera Risotto.
With a base mixture of onions, carrot and celery (for ease, you can use some ready-prepared Soffritto mix) and some asparagus, spring onion, peas and herbs added near the end.
This risotto is plant-based, dairy-free and naturally gluten-free too.
If you don’t want to use vegan cheese, I recommend substituting about 40ml of the vegetable stock for dairy-free milk and two tablespoons of nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour.
Risotto Making Tips
- Stirring regularly. You don’t have to stand over the stove, stirring constantly but regular stirring will help the rice release it’s starch.
- Adding the stock a cup at a time. Adding the stock in all in one go is simply just like boiling rice but we want a creamier result than that. So adding the stock in a bit at a time, waiting until each ladel-full has nearly been absorbed will help create that gluey texture.
Keep the temperature at a gentle simmer, don’t try to rush it!
- “Mantecatura” – Loosely translated as “enrichment” or to give something a buttery texture. This is achieved at the end of the recipe, when the rice is almost cooked and the liquid has very nearly been absorbed.
Remove the rice from the heat and stir for a couple of minutes, adding an extra ingredients, such as dairy-free butter, oil, and vegan cheese.
Vegan Primavera Risotto
A light but creamy vegan risotto for Spring, with onion, carrot and asparagus.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g / 5.2 oz Soffrito mix (equal parts diced onion, celery and carrot)
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 120 g / 4 oz risotto rice (Arborio)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar*
- 500 ml / 2 cups vegetable stock
- 125 g / 4 oz asparagus tips, cut into 3
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 50 g / 1.7 oz frozen petit pois peas
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- A generous amount of grated vegan parmesan
- Fresh parsley
- (Optional) 1 tbsp vegan cream cheese, or nutritional yeast
1. Add the oil to a skillet, on medium heat. Sauté the soffritto mix for about 5 minutes, until softened.
2. Stir in the risotto rice with the white wine vinegar and after about a minute, add in a third of the stock. Let it simmer gently and absorb all the liquid. Repeat with the next third.
3. When you're ready to add the last of the stock, add the asparagus and spring onions too.
4. When the rice has very nearly absorbed all the liquid, after about 25-30 minutes, add the peas, cheese and vegan butter. Remove from the heat, add the lid and allow to sit for 2 minutes. Stir and serve immediately. Season with fresh parsley, pepper, extra cheese or nutritional yeast.
*If you have some white wine to cook with instead, use that! Give a good glug (about 50ml) and you may need to use a little less vegetable stock.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 325Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 7mgSodium 763mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 9gSugar 7gProtein 13g
More Vegan Risottos
Tomato & Roasted Vegetable Risotto
Leave a Reply