I cannot believe Christmas has just been and gone. Although, part of me is glad to be moving onto 2017 now!
Anyway, I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas day? Mine was lovely. Lazy and and centered around eating food and watching TV, just how I like to celebrate.
But of course the holiday season isn’t quite over yet and if you’re looking for some delicious vegan party food for New Year’s Eve, this recipe is a winner.
It’s simply toasted bread slices with hummus and caramelised onions on top. But it tastes divine. The perfect finger-food that just happens to be vegan-friendly!
This is the final recipe I’m sharing from my Christmassy shoot in Connemara, with my lovely cousins Aoife and Michelle.
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 1 crusty white baguette
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- A tub of good-tasting hummus
- (Optional) fresh sprigs of rosemary
- Preheat the grill and slice the baguette into 1/2 inch slices. Brush them with a tablespoon of the olive oil and grill until golden brown on both sides. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Cook on a medium heat until sticky and caramelised (approximately 10 minutes.)
- Add a tablespoon of hummus to each bread slice and smooth over the surface.
- Top with a tablespoon of the caramelised onions and a small sprig of rosemary (if using.)
- Serve right away.
Assemble these just before serving to make sure the hummus stays fresh.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 133Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 219mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 4g