Thank you Birds Eye Peas for sponsoring this post
These fritters turned out even better than I hoped for. There is something quite “meaty” about them, which would make them an excellent meat substitute in meals. I think kids would love these instead of nuggets, for example.
They also work as a falafel-alternative. Add them to pitta wraps, eat them with a salad or serve them as an appetizer with some dip. I’ve shared a recipe for a lovely, quick dairy-free herby yoghurt dip but honestly, I’ve mainly been eating these with some good, old-fashioned, classy ketchup.
- 250 g / 2 cups frozen peas, (Petit Pois or Garden Peas)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for baking
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 140 g / 1 1/2 cups besan flour, (or chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp mixed fresh or dried herbs, finely chopped (I used mixed dried Italian herbs)
Herby Yoghurt Dipping sauce
- 1 cup Soy yoghurt
- Mixed fresh or dried herbs, finely chopped (I used fresh rosemary, parsley and mint)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Add the peas to a medium saucepan, cover with water and boil, according to packet's instructions and drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add the peas, onions and garlic to a food processor and pulse until it becaomes a thick paste. Alternatively, you can use a masher to mix it by hand.
- Stir in the chickpea flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and herbs.
- The mixture is quite sticky so you will need to wet your hands to shape them into patties. Scoop 1 tbsp of the mixture, roll into a ball and press down slightly to create a patty shape on the baking sheet.
- Brush with fritters with olive oil.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown, flipping them over half way.
- Eat right away or keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them and reheat from frozen.
For the dipping sauce
- Simply mix all the ingredients together and serve in a small dish, along with the fritters.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size fritter
Amount Per Serving Calories 94Carbohydrates 14gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 4g