Quorn Vegan Smoky Ham-free Slices and dairy-free cheese, with mustard and herbs, rolled in a crisp, flaky pastry. These pinwheel snacks make the perfect party food.
Recipe commissioned by Quorn.
If you’re looking for a tasty appetizer to serve for Christmas or new years parties, this recipe is super easy and will impress vegans and omnivores alike.
These crisp and flavourful puff pastry pinwheels are filled with Quorn Smoky Vegan Ham-Free Slices, vegan cheese, mustard and herbs, for the perfect party snack.
🎉 Quorn Vegan & Vegetarian Party Food
For this recipe I’ve teamed up with Quorn to showcase their vegan and vegetarian party food range, which makes it so easy to cater for everyone this holiday season, whether you’re a vegan, vegetarian, flexitarian or just a considerate party host!
Food from this range is also really easy to track down, unlike a lot of vegan products.
I found the Quorn Vegan Smoky Ham-Free Slices in my local Sainsburys and Tesco stores, but they are of course also available in the larger supermarkets, including Waitrose, Asda or Morrisons and also Ocado online.
Things I love about this recipe…
- It’s incredibly easy. Watch my video or follow the step-by-step photos in this post to see for yourself!
- It’s so full of flavour. The smoky Quorn ham is so tasty, especially paired with the mustard and that crisp, flaky pastry.
- It’s a more exciting meat-free option than the usual vegan-friendly appetisers that are offered at parties.
- Quorn Vegan Ham-Free Slices – Available in most supermarkets in the chilled meat-free alternatives or ready-made food aisles.
- Puff pastry – Vegan-friendly (avoid the all-butter kind). Ready-rolled sheets make this even easier.
- Vegan cheese
- Mustard – I used wholegrain as that’s what I had to hand but smooth English mustard will also work well.
Feel free to leave out or substitute onion chutney if you prefer.
- Mixed herbs – Dried herb mix of basil, marjoram and oregano. You can also use “Italian Seasoning”.
- Aquafaba – The liquid from a tin of chickpeas/other legumes. This is used as an egg-substitute for glazing the pastries.
You can also just use an unsweetened dairy-free milk.
📋 Step by step
Make sure you have left the puff pastry at room temperature for about 20 minutes, so it is soft enough to work with.
Unroll the sheet.
Spread 2 tbsp mustard over the sheet, using a spatula or pastry brush.
Layer the Quorn ham slices on top.
Top with grated vegan cheese. I used a mixture of cheddar-style and mozzarella-style.
Top with the mustard powder, herbs, salt and pepper.
Carefully roll the pastry, lengthways, into a log shape.
Using the longest edge, tightly wrap and use the paper from the pastry sheet to lift and roll into a log.
Chill the log in the freezer or fridge for at least 30 minutes, so it is firm and easier to slice.
Cut into 1-inch slices. You should have approximately 20 slices.
Place the pinwheels onto two baking trays, lined with greaseproof paper, leaving a generous amount of room between each pastry.
Brush with the aquafaba / dairy-free milk and bake until golden!
And that’s it! Serve immediately or wrap in an airtight container until just before serving.
Best served on the day of making.
❓ FAQ & Tips
Yes, simply follow the recipe until just before glazing and cooking. Keep wrapped in the fridge for up to 24 hours, then bake just before you plan to serve them.
Yes, freeze them on a single layer of parchment paper and simply bake, from frozen, when you’re ready. You will need to add on a couple of minutes extra cooking time.
Definitely best to serve them straight away but they will still taste delicious, if not a bit softer, after a few hours or the next day. You can reheat them in the oven for a few minutes before serving so they regain some crispness.
- 1 x 320 g vegan-friendly puff pastry sheet*
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 x 100 g pack Quorn Vegan Smoky Ham Free Slices
- 150 g grated vegan cheese
- 1 tsp mixed herbs (or Italian seasoning)
- A pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- Aquafaba or unsweetened dairy-free milk, for glazing**
- Allow the puff pastry to sit at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes, so it is easier to work with.
- Spread the mustard over the entire sheet.
- Top with the packet of Quorn Vegan Smoky Ham Free Slices, allowing the slices to overlap slightly to cover to sheet.
- Scatter the dairy-free cheese and seasonings on top.
- Gently roll the pastry lengthways, into a log shape. I recommend putting the log in the fridge or freezer to let it firm up, which will make it easier to slice.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180C Fan / 390F and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Cut into 1-inch slices, which should result in approximately 20 pinwheels.
- Place them onto the baking trays, leaving plenty of room for them to expand. Brush with aquafaba or dairy-free milk to glaze.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden and flaky.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Available in most supermarkets. Check the ingredients and avoid the all-butter kind.
**Aquafaba is the liquid from a tin of chickpeas/legumes and makes an excellent liquid to glaze with but an unsweetened dairy-free milk will also do the job.
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 137Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 6mgSodium 284mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 7g