These vegan orange glazed carrots are a dish I like to make often, and especially love adding a sprig of thyme.
The orange juice brings out the carrot’s natural sweetness whilst the orange-thyme gives it a herby yet zesty edge, mmmm.
5-ingredient Dairy-free Orange Glazed Carrots
You will need just 5 ingredients for this recipe:
Carrots – I suggest baby carrots or Chantenay carrots, which you can find in most supermarkets, here in the UK. You can also just use ordinary carrots, peeled and quartered lengthways.
Orange juice – Fresh squeezed is best but from a bottle is fine too.
Thyme – A few fresh sprigs of thyme. You could use dried herb too, but add it during the last one minute of cooking instead, as it can burn quickly.
Dairy-free butter – As this is a vegan recipe, but I still want to have that “buttery” flavour, I recommend a good-tasting dairy-free spread, such as Naturli or Earth Balance Buttery.
Brown sugar – For a subtle hint of sweetness. We don’t need too much because of the orange and carrot already being quite sweet on their own, but this really takes it to a new level.
This makes the perfect side dish for the holidays and special occasions. Serve it with some roast potatoes and my Lentil Roast with Balsamic Onion Gravy.
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 250 g / 8.8 oz baby carrots or Chantenay carrots
- 4 tbsp pure squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lightly peel the baby carrots and plunge them into a pot of boiling water. Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Drain the carrots and return to the pan, adding the dairy-free butter and gently frying for a minute.
- Add the orange juice and thyme then simmer the carrots for another 3 minutes. Adding the sugar.
- Make sure the carrots are evenly cooked in the juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and when ready, transfer to a serving dish with the juices left in the pan.
- Add a few extra pieces of the thyme on top for a decoration. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 60Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 8mgSodium 78mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 1g