Buttery vegan carrot dish with orange and thyme. Makes a delicious side dish for Easter, Christmas or Sunday lunch.
These vegan orange glazed carrots are a dish I like to make often, and especially love adding a sprig of thyme.
The orange juice brings out the carrot’s natural sweetness whilst the orange-thyme gives it a herby yet zesty edge, mmmm.
5-ingredient Dairy-free Orange Glazed Carrots
You will need just 5 ingredients for this recipe:
Carrots – I suggest baby carrots or Chantenay carrots, which you can find in most supermarkets, here in the UK. You can also just use ordinary carrots, peeled and quartered lengthways.
Orange juice – Fresh squeezed is best but from a bottle is fine too.
Thyme – A few fresh sprigs of thyme. You could use dried herb too, but add it during the last one minute of cooking instead, as it can burn quickly.
Dairy-free butter – As this is a vegan recipe, but I still want to have that “buttery” flavour, I recommend a good-tasting dairy-free spread, such as Naturli or Earth Balance Buttery.
Brown sugar – For a subtle hint of sweetness. We don’t need too much because of the orange and carrot already being quite sweet on their own, but this really takes it to a new level.
This makes the perfect side dish for the holidays and special occasions. Serve it with some roast potatoes and my Lentil Roast with Balsamic Onion Gravy.
- 250 g / 8.8 oz baby carrots or Chantenay carrots
- 4 tbsp pure squeezed orange juice
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lightly peel the baby carrots and plunge them into a pot of boiling water. Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Drain the carrots and return to the pan, adding the dairy-free butter and gently frying for a minute.
- Add the orange juice and thyme then simmer the carrots for another 3 minutes. Adding the sugar.
- Make sure the carrots are evenly cooked in the juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and when ready, transfer to a serving dish with the juices left in the pan.
- Add a few extra pieces of the thyme on top for a decoration. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size ¼ recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 60Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 8mgSodium 78mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 1g