Thank you Sacla’ for sponsoring this recipe!
A good vegan lasagna is hard to come by. But guys… I think I’ve found one of the best, if I may say so.
It’s creamy, rich, flavourful, comforting and oh so satisfying to eat. The tastiest vegan lasagna I’ve tried so far!
Sliced mushrooms are used in place of meat and I use Sacla’s new free-from bechamel sauce to add the creamy element. Vegan cheese or nutritional yeast is totally optional – I’ve tried it both with and without and BOTH are delicious.
I tested this dish out on my meat-eating friend who absolutely loved it and even asked for seconds, so this is definitely a dish the whole family can enjoy, regardless of their diet.
This lasagna is:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 400 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp mixed Italian dried herbs, Basil, oregano, thyme
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 240 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
For the lasagna
- 12 gluten-free lasagna sheets
- 1 tin Sacla' free-from Besciamella white sauce
- Optional vegan cheese, , grated
Make the bolognese sauce
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the onions, garlic, grated carrot, salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and tomato puree. Mix to combine.
- Add the vinegar, herbs, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the cornflour mixture and simmer for approximately 10 minutes until reduced and thickened.
Make the lasagna
- Preheat oven to 200C / 350f.
- Pre-cook lasagna sheets, according to packet's instructions.
- Add a small amount of sauce to the bottom of the pan, enough to coat the bottom.
- Add a layer of lasagna sheets.
- Smooth 2 tbsp white sauce on top.
- Then top with more bolognese. Repeat until the last layer of lasagna sheets.
- Top with the remainder of the bolognese sauce. Then smooth the rest of the white sauce on top. Add some grated vegan cheese, if desired.
- Bake 20 mins.