Last year, during a trip to Devon, I tasted the best soup I’ve ever tasted in my life. A sweet roasted parsnip and celeriac soup.
Trying to order something vegan-friendly in Devon was a total nightmare and I mainly lived on chips… so perhaps the luxury of eating “real” food for a change played a part? Either way, the flavours were incredible and I have been meaning to try and recreate it ever since. So here it is!
You may have noticed a lot more “moody” photos on the blog lately as it’s something I’m experimenting with. Usually I’m all about white backdrops and minimalist styling but I’m trying to mix it up a bit and step outside my styling comfort zone.
So I was delighted when one of my favourite shops, Minor Goods, sent me some of their gorgeous bowls and plates to use for styling. If you haven’t heard of them already, I urge you to check out their collection of beautiful homewares!
The bowls and plate featured in this shoot are from their stoneware collection, which is to die for. And as a bonus, they’re totally affordable.
Parsnip and celeriac might seem a bit bland for a soup I have claimed to be one of the best but they actually have quite unusual flavours and when roasted with that maple syrup… Oh my.
Toppings are totally optional but I strongly recommend some garlic olive oil and some of this vegan “parmesan” (or this nut-free version). It just seems to bring it all together and turns it into something extra special. Croutons are always a good thing too.
This soup is:
- 500 g parsnips, approx 3 large parsnips cut into small chunks
- 1 small celeriac, cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, mined
- Mixed fresh herbs, I used a sprig or rosemary, thyme and sage tied together with some cooking string
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To serve (optional)
- Vegan "parmesan"
- Croutons, use gluten-free, if necessary
- Garlic olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200C / 390F and toss the celeriac and parsnips together with 1 tbsp olive oil and the maple syrup in a large roasting tray. Roast for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large pot and saute the onion and garlic until softened.
- Once the vegetables are roasted, add them to the pot with the herbs and stock.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove the herb sprigs and blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- (Optional) serve with a drizzle of garlic olive oil, some croutons and some vegan "parmesan"!