This vegan potato & leek soup is just so wholesome and satiating and the texture is incredibly smooth. Perfect for dipping a slice of soda bread into.
I know autumn isn’t officially here yet, let alone winter but I’m already in soup-mode.
Things I love about this soup
- It’s so rich and silky smooth.
- Makes a very filling, warming and comforting meal.
- Great for batch cooking and keeping in the freezer.
- Healthier than the cream-laden recipes, this soup uses wholesome ingredients without sacrificing on texture or flavour.
- It’s vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and low calorie.
How to Make Vegan Potato & Leek Soup Without Cream
My secret ingredient to making this soup creamy, velvety smooth and rich, without cream is…
Simply cooking the cashews, along with the potato, softens them enough so they can be blended into a smooth cream texture.
Cashews are my favourite thing for creating dairy-free creams as they provide the same texture, without any overbearing flavour.
More Comforting Vegan Soups
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 30 g dairy-free butter
- 1 small white onion, roughly diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 400 g / 14 oz leeks, sliced into discs
- 400 g / 14 oz white potato, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 50 g / 1.8 oz raw cashews
- 850 ml / 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
To serve (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- Chives, chopped
- Swirl of soy yoghurt or cream
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes, until softened. Add in the leeks and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potato, cashews and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add to a blender with the vinegar and puree until smooth.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with ground black pepper, a swirl of soy yoghurt or cream, chopped chives and a side of bread with vegan butter.
Keeps well in the fridge for up to 4 days or can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1/6th recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 237Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 16mgSodium 465mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 3gSugar 8gProtein 6g