I know autumn isn’t officially here yet, let alone winter but I’m already in soup-mode. I’m currently working on a vegan soda bread recipe and wanted a traditional Irish soup to serve with it!
This soup is just so wholesome and satiating. Instead of cream, which would normally be used in a Leek & Potato Soup recipe, I’ve used cashews which have a very neutral flavour whilst giving a rich creaminess.
- 30g vegan buttery spread
- 1 small white onion, roughly diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 400g leeks, sliced into discs
- 400g white potato, diced into 1cm cubes
- 50g raw cashews
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
To serve (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- Chives, chopped
- Swirl of soy yoghurt or cream
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes, until softened. Add in the leeks and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potato, cashews and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add to a blender with the vinegar and puree until smooth.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with ground black pepper, a swirl of soy yoghurt or cream, chopped chives and a side of bread with vegan butter.
Keeps well in the fridge for up to 4 days or can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1/6th recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 154 Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1.3gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 176mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 2.5gSugar 3.1gProtein 3.3g