This vegan Mushroom and Chestnut Soup is rich and creamy, with woody mushrooms and subtly sweet chestnuts for the perfect Autumn comfort meal.
My new favourite soup for Autumn: Mushroom and Chestnut Soup!
The aromas and flavours from this earthy soup are so beautiful, especially with this creamy, rich texture.
To make the soup without cream, I use cashews. You can’t taste them but they act as a cream substitute and thickener for the recipe, as well as some bonus nutritional value.
Ingredients for Mushroom and Chestnut Soup
- Dried Porcini mushrooms – You can also use a dried wild mushroom mix
- Chestnut mushrooms
- Whole roasted chestnuts – I use Merchant Gourmet’s
- Vegetable stock
- Dairy-free butter OR oil
- Herbs – I use fresh parsley and dried mixed herbs (or Italian seasoning)
- Cashews – You can’t taste the cashews in this recipe but they act as a cream substitute which gives the soup this thick, creamy texture!
- Vinegar – I use apple cider vinegar but sherry vinegar, white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar would all work wonderfully too.
How to make a creamy dairy-free mushroom & chestnut soup
Step 1: Soak the dried mushrooms
Soak the dried porcini or wild mushrooms into a jug/bowl of hot water, for at least 20 minutes, to rehydrate.
Step 2: Cook the ingredients
Start by melting the vegan butter (or adding the oil) and frying the chopped garlic and onion.
Add the fresh mushrooms, herbs and apple cider vinegar, cooking for a few minutes until the mushrooms soften. Then add the cashews, dried herbs and parsley to cook for 10 minutes.
Add in the stock, soaked dried mushrooms and chestnuts. Warm everything through for a couple of minutes.
Step 3: Blend and serve!
Blend everything until smooth. You can use a jug blender, stick blender or soup maker.
Serve with a swirl of soy yoghurt/cream, some ground black pepper, fresh parsley and (optional) croutons.
Can I make this soup in the microwave?
You can! I have tested this soup using a Panasonic slimline microwave with the following instructions:
1) Add the vegan butter, garlic and parsley in a bowl and put on the base of the microwave, cooking on high for 1 minute.
3) Add the fresh chestnut mushrooms and cashews to the parsley butter
mixture. Cook on medium microwave for 5 minutes.
4) Transfer to a blender and add the vinegar, dried mixed herbs, cooked chestnuts and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
Does this soup freeze well?
Yes. Freeze on the day of making and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow the soup to defrost overnight before reheating.
How long does this soup keep in the fridge for?
This soup keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge.
If you enjoy this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creation on my stories!
- 30 g / 1 oz (approx 1 cup) dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 180 ml / 1 ⅓ cup boiled water for at least 20 minutes*
- 1 tbsp vegan butter OR olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium white onion, roughly diced
- 15 g (approx 4 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 250 g / 14 oz chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar*
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs (Italian herb mix)*
- 50 g / 1.8 oz (approx ⅓ cup) raw cashews
- 300 ml / 1 ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 100 g / 3.5 oz whole, roasted chestnuts (I used Merchant Gourmet)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dairy-free cream or yoghurt
- Fresh parsley
- Add the dairy-free spread to a medium-sized pot on high heat. Allow to melt slightly before sautéing the garlic cloves and onion for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the mushrooms, apple cider vinegar, dried herbs and fresh parsley. Reduce to a low heat and cook for 10 minutes, until the mushrooms release their juices.
- Add the vegetable stock and cashews, cooking for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients to warm through for 1 minute. Then blend until smooth! Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, adjusting if needed.
- Serve with a swirl of dairy-free cream or yoghurt, a sprinkling of ground black pepper, fresh parsley and croutons.
*Dried wild mushrooms will also work
*You can also use sherry vinegar, white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar here. All will work great!
*Dried mixed herbs usually consists of basil, marjoram, oregano and thyme. You can use an Italian herb mix here.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 236Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 19mgSodium 400mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 3gSugar 10gProtein 7g