Happy new year, all. Now my book is released into the world (hurrah!) I want to get back to regular recipe posting on here, starting from next month.
But for now, I bring you biscuits. Or cookies.
These coconut cherry cookies are very worth getting excited about.
Despite how easy and simple, they really do taste incredible. These might just make my top 3 biscuits.
The original recipe is called “Melting Moments” and comes from an old advertisement, for one of the first brands of self-raising flour in the UK, Be-Ro.
It’s from around the 1940s, I believe.
But although I may only be in my early 30s, I distinctly remember eating these as a child, when we would still bake from old, dusty and sticky cookbooks instead of food blogs.
Oats or coconut?
I love using coconut for these biscuits but the original recipe gives the option of either rolled oats or desiccated coconut. Perhaps even a mixture of both. It’s up to you!
More Vegan Treats
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut or rolled oats
- 50 g / 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 75 g / 3 oz dairy-free butter or margarine
- (optional) 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 95 g / 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 12 glace cherries, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4 / 350°F. Grease or line a baking tray.
- Prepare a bowl with the coconut or rolled oats.
- In a large, separate, mixing bowl, beat the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy, then stir in the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and mix into a dough.
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll into balls with slightly damp hands. Roll and shake in the coconut/oat mixture to thoroughly coat.
- Place onto the baking tray, allowing enough room in-between for the biscuits to expand (use two trays if you need to) and press down slightly. Top each ball with one of the cherry halves.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool before serving and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 61Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 8mgSodium 72mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 1g