These vegan Melting Moments are melt-in-your-mouth cookies made with desiccated coconut and glacé cherries. They’re based on a vintage recipe from a Be-Ro advertisement in the 1950’s and are still well-loved today.
Happy new year, all. Now my book is released into the world (hurrah!) I want to get back to regular recipe posting on here, starting from next month.
But for now, I bring you biscuits. Or cookies.
These coconut cherry cookies are very worth getting excited about.
Despite how easy and simple, they really do taste incredible. These might just make my top 3 biscuits.
Melting Moments (recipe origin)
The original recipe is called “Melting Moments” and comes from an old advertisement, for one of the first brands of self-raising flour in the UK, Be-Ro.
It’s from around the 1950s, I believe.
They were named Melting Moments because they are melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
These biscuits are made with really simple ingredients.
The original recipe is sometimes printed as using oats instead of coconuts and can be used 1:1 in place of one another, so it’s up to you.
- Desiccated coconut – You can also use equal amounts of rolled oats here, if you prefer.
- Caster sugar
- Dairy-free butter – I recommend Naturli vegan butter or a sunflower-based margarine
- Vanilla extract
- Self-raising flour
- Glace cherries
Step by Step
One of the things I love most about these cookies is how easy they are to make. Simply mix, roll, dot with a cherry and bake!
Step 1: Make the cookie dough
Beat the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy, then stir in the vanilla. Stir in the flour and mix into a dough.
Step 2: Roll into balls and coat
Divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll into balls with slightly damp hands.
Roll and shake in a prepared coconut/oat mixture to thoroughly coat.
Step 3: Stud with cherries
Place the balls on a grease/lined baking tray, allowing enough room for spreading.
Cut the Glacé cherries in half and dot on top of each cookie ball.
Step 4: Bake!
Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes. Allow to cool before serving. Enjoy!
If you enjoy this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creation on my stories!
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut or rolled oats
- 50 g / ¼ cup caster sugar
- 75 g / 3 oz dairy-free butter or margarine
- (optional) 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 95 g / ¾ cup self-raising flour
- 12 glace cherries, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4 / 350°F. Grease or line a baking tray.
- Prepare a bowl with the coconut or rolled oats.
- In a large, separate, mixing bowl, beat the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy, then stir in the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and mix into a dough.
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll into balls with slightly damp hands. Roll and shake in the coconut/oat mixture to thoroughly coat.
- Place onto the baking tray, allowing enough room in-between for the biscuits to expand (use two trays if you need to) and press down slightly. Top each ball with one of the cherry halves.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool before serving and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 61Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 8mgSodium 72mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 1g