What’s better than shortbread?
Except chocolate-chip shortbread, that is.
These vegan chocolate chip shortbread biscuits are melt-in-your-mouth heaven and the little bites of chocolate just take it to a new level of delicious-ness.
As always, this recipe is dairy-free, eggless and vegan!
How to make the perfect Vegan Shortbread Cookies
Use a good-tasting vegan butter
I recommend Naturli or Earth Balance Buttery, if you want that classic buttery flavour.
Dairy-free Chocolate Chips
Dark chocolate chips are usually vegan-friendly (always check the ingredients).
You can also usually find milk chocolate style chips that are dairy-free in supermarkets now, but if not you can find them in health food shops or online.
Cream the fat and sugar well
The first step of the recipe is to cream the vegan spread with the sugar and it’s an important one. The longer you can mix them together for, the better. I usually aim for about 5 minutes but you can increase that for up to 10 minutes if you have a stand mixer.
Chilling the dough
This part is important for a couple of reasons.
First, so that the dough becomes workable and doesn’t lose it’s shape.
Second, so the fat firms up and doesn’t melt too quickly in the oven. This part really affects the overall texture and shape.
Tip: You can try chilling the dough twice, for the perfect outcome. Once before you cut out your shapes and then again after the shapes are cut.
More vegan cookies to try
Let me know in the comments if you loved this recipe, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creation in my stories!
- 200 g / 7 oz dairy-free butter*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g / 3.5 oz caster sugar
- 280 g / 10 oz plain flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
- 75 g / 2.5 oz dark chocolate chips, (dairy-free)
- Cream the butter, vanilla and sugar Stir in the flour and corn flour and mix into a dough.
- Mix in the chocolate chips a small amount at a time, gently folding into the dough until it’s all combined.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170C / 150C (fan) / 350F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll out to approximately ½ cm thickness and cut into shapes.
- Place on the baking sheet, sprinkle with a little extra sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown at the edges, turning half way through to ensure even baking.
- Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
*Use a good-tasting vegan butter alternative such as Naturli block or Earth Balance Buttery
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 142Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 18mgSodium 56mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 2g