Note: I created this recipe for OXO. Click here for more details on our collaboration.
I made these vegan burgers for OXO back in April, when we started getting a bit of sunshine, but held off posting it until now, because of the cold, rain and general anti-BBQ weather we had here in the UK.
But now we seem to be firmly set in Summer mode…
It’s BBQ time! Today I’m showing you how to make the BEST veggie burgers.
They hold together super well, have great texture and taste.
Admittedly, this recipe is very strongly based on the veggie burgers from my cookbook (more info here) because I was so proud of how those burgers turned out. This is honestly the best recipe for vegan burgers I’ve tried so far!
So this recipe is almost the same but with a couple of tweaks for a more BBQ flavour, plus I wanted to demonstrate how well they cook on the BBQ and don’t fall apart.
You don’t need any fancy equipment to make these. However, a good masher is recommended. Otherwise, a food processor will make things more simple.
It’s simply a case of cooking the onions, then mashing together with the rest of the ingredients until you have a thick, chunky mixture which can easily be shaped into patties. If it’s too wet, add some flour.
How to cook the best veggie burgers
- For the BBQ – Brush each side of the patties with some oil, to prevent them drying out. Cook for 3-4 minutes, before flipping and cooking for another 4 minutes on the other side.
- For the pan, heat a little oil in the pan on medium-high and fry each side for 4-5 minutes, checking regularly to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- For the oven, preheat to 200C, brush with oil and bake for 10 minutes, flip and then bake for another 10 minutes.
Serve these vegan burgers with:
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp marmite
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 120 g shiitake mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 x 400 g / 14 oz tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 120g cooked rice
- 25 g porridge oats
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Flour for dusting
- (optional) vegan cheese slices
- Vegan avocado-brioche or regular bun
- Red onion slices
- 1 beef tomato, sliced
- Little gem lettuce, torn
- Onion chutney, ketchup, mayo etc.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until soft. Add the mushrooms, BBQ sauce and marmite. Cook for 10 minutes until soft and sticky.
Mix with the rest of the ingredients, using a really good masher or food processor until chunky and mouldable. Shape into 4 patties, using extra flour if it's too wet or soft.
Heat up the grill, according to your BBQ instructions.
Brush both sides of the patties with a little oil. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. If you want to melt some vegan cheese on top, add to the top of the burgers during the last minute of cooking.
To serve, add some vegan mayo to one side of the bun, place the burger on top, add ketchup, sliced onion, tomato, lettuce and whatever other toppings you like. Enjoy!