I am on such a tofu kick at the moment. I can’t believe I ever used to dislike it! It picks up flavours so well, making it the perfect ingredient in this flavour-packed recipe.
This sweet & spicy tofu dish is fresh, zingy and light but satisfying. A meal ideal for Spring/Summer. It’s also very simple and easy to make!
Serve with noodles, rice or cauliflower rice (for a lower carb option). You can also throw some veggies in there such as red pepper and tenderstem broccoli.
More Weeknight Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200 g extra-firm tofu, drained and pat dry
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar*
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar , or balsamic vinegar
- 1 lime
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Add the oil to a large skillet and put on a high heat.
- Meanwhile, make sure the excess liquid has been drained from your tofu block and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- After a few minutes, test if the oil is hot enough with a piece of tofu. Once it sizzles, it's ready! Add the rest of the tofu (you may need to fry in 2 batches, depending on your pan size) and fry for a few minutes before turning over and frying on the other sides. They should be golden and crispy.
- Once cooked, transfer to a plate with some kitchen towel to mop up any excess oil.
- Keep the pan on the hob but turn it down to a medium heat. Add the spring onions, garlic, ginger, Sriracha, syrup, soy sauce and vinegar. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Return the tofu to the pan and coat with the sauce.
- Serve with rice (use cauliflower rice for a low carb diet) or noodles. Scatter fresh chopped mint on top and a squeeze of lemon juice.
*For a low carb option, swap the syrup for a pinch of xylitol or simply leave out altogether (it's still super delicious just not sweet!)
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 417Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 28gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1307mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 4gSugar 14gProtein 13g