This sweet & spicy tofu dish is fresh, zingy and light but satisfying. A meal ideal for Spring/Summer. It’s also very simple and easy to make!
I am on such a tofu kick at the moment. I can’t believe I ever used to dislike it! It picks up flavours so well, making it the perfect ingredient in this flavour-packed recipe.
Serve with noodles, rice or cauliflower rice (for a lower carb option). You can also throw some veggies in there such as red pepper and tenderstem broccoli.
More Weeknight Recipes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200 g extra-firm tofu, drained and pat dry
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar*
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar , or balsamic vinegar
- 1 lime
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Add the oil to a large skillet and put on a high heat.
- Meanwhile, make sure the excess liquid has been drained from your tofu block and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- After a few minutes, test if the oil is hot enough with a piece of tofu. Once it sizzles, it's ready! Add the rest of the tofu (you may need to fry in 2 batches, depending on your pan size) and fry for a few minutes before turning over and frying on the other sides. They should be golden and crispy.
- Once cooked, transfer to a plate with some kitchen towel to mop up any excess oil.
- Keep the pan on the hob but turn it down to a medium heat. Add the spring onions, garlic, ginger, Sriracha, syrup, soy sauce and vinegar. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Return the tofu to the pan and coat with the sauce.
- Serve with rice (use cauliflower rice for a low carb diet) or noodles. Scatter fresh chopped mint on top and a squeeze of lemon juice.
*For a low carb option, swap the syrup for a pinch of xylitol or simply leave out altogether (it's still super delicious just not sweet!)
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 417Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 28gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1307mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 4gSugar 14gProtein 13g