A simple, classic dish that really hits the spot. Perfect for when you don’t know what to cook but want something comforting and delicious, fast.
I nearly always have tinned tomatoes and pasta in my pantry and it’s a short trip into the garden to pick some fresh basil, so I love that I’m never too far away from eating this dish!
If you don’t have access to fresh basil from your garden or market, you can of course used dried – or better yet, frozen. It’s not the same but it’s still good.
When I said that I have all these ingredients to hand at any given time, I’m including onions and garlic.
Because I “””cheat””” and use frozen diced onions and frozen chopped garlic. Seriously, a life saver.
If you’ve never come across these in the supermarket, have a look for them in the frozen veg section and pick them up because they will make your lives so much easier! No more onion tears.
This dish is:
- Vegetarian & vegan
- Easy to make gluten-free (just use gluten-free penne)
- Low in fat (only 0.9g per serving!)
- Low calorie and diet friendly (just 233 calories per bowl)
- Ready in 15 minutes!
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 180 g / 6.4 oz dry penne pasta, gluten-free, if needed
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 x 400 g / 17 oz tin tomatoes
- A bunch of fresh basil, torn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- (optional) 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil and cook the penne, according to the packet's instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce in a separate non-stick saucepan by frying the onion and garlic with a splash of water. Cook until softened, then add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Drain the pasta and add to the tomato sauce, along with the torn basil, salt and pepper.
- (Optional) Sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top for a subtle cheesy flavour.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 233Carbohydrates 48gFiber 5.4gProtein 7.2g