Thank you Sacla’ for sponsoring this recipe!
Creating a savoury, gluten-free and vegan muffin was no easy feat but I am soooo happy with the result!
These Gluten-free Savoury Muffins are like a cross between cornbread, quiche and a fluffy muffin.
You wouldn’t know they were gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free. The texture is that good.
And the flavour? Oh my, there is plenty of that.
The vegan pesto definitely steals the show and adds a comforting but strong (not overpowering) flavour throughout, with just the right amount of saltiness.
Then you get a sweet, slightly smoky hit from the sun-dried tomatoes every time you bite into a piece. SO yum.
I ended up serving a few of these with a salad as part of a lunch but you could also grab them to go as a breakfast, serve them as a side dish, as an alternative to bread or just eat for a delicious snack.
So as mentioned, pesto is the main flavour of these muffins and if you don’t tend to make your own then Sacla’ do an amazing free-from pesto that tastes EXACTLY like the dairy-laden kind.
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- A handful of finely chopped basil, parsley and chives
- 65 g / 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 80 g / 1/2 cup polenta
- 45 g / 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp Sacla free-from pesto
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, or soy yoghurt
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- A handful of sundried tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 190C / 370F and grease a non-stick muffin tin with oil or use muffin liners, if preferred.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together the gluten-free flour, polenta, chickpea flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- To the frying pan, stir in the pesto, cream cheese (or yoghurt), water and vinegar. Mix in the sundried tomatoes.
- Add the wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the muffin tins, filling each hole about three-quarters of the way up.
- (Optional) stir in a little extra pesto on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 229Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 3mgSodium 264mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 6g