Chocolate vegan muffins with a hint of orange, and only approx 100 calories per serving!
This was my 4th attempt at this recipe and I have finally perfected it – for the most delicious Low Calorie Chocolate Muffins!
Only 100 calorie per muffin and pretty damn tasty.
I came to the conclusion that in order to have a truly delicious chocolate-y muffin, you need to use actual chocolate.
These muffins are:
- Low fat
- Low calorie
What’s your favourite kind of muffin?
Usually I’m a lemon poppyseed muffin kind of girl but now I’m thinking chocolate orange is definitely the way to go…
- 180 ml / ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 50 g coarsely chopped dairy-free dark chocolate, melted
- Zest and juice from 1 medium orange
- 190 ml / ¾ cup + 1 tbsp agave nectar
- (Optional) 1 tsp natural orange flavouring
- 125 g / 1 ¼ cup spelt or plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- (Optional) A few dark chocolate chips for decorating on top
- Preheat the oven to 170c / 350f and line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- Mix the almond milk, melted chocolate, orange juice and zest, agave nectar and orange flavouring in a bowl or jug.
- In another bowl, stir together the spelt flour, baking powder, bicarb and cocoa powder.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until well combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between the 12 muffin cases and top with a few dark chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm on top. Leave to cool before serving.
- Store in an air-tight tin for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
*You can sub wholegrain wheat flour or wholegrain gluten-free flour, if you prefer.
**I used a dark chocolate orange bar to give it even more orange flavour! But it works just as well with plain dark chocolate.
Nutrition InformationYield 12
Amount Per Serving Calories 108Carbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 2g