It wasn’t that long ago I posted a blueberry muffin recipe but this low-fat version is too good not to share. Plus, you can never have enough blueberry muffins, can you?
These are based off my Low Fat Strawberry Muffin recipe, simply replaced with blueberries and added lemon.
As with the strawberry muffins, these work really well with gluten-free flour (see the photos in my strawberry muffin post to see the result).
Despite having virtually no fat in them, these muffins are unbelievably spongy and cake-like, thanks to the use of soy yoghurt.
If you can’t eat soy, feel free to use another dairy-free yoghurt but bear in mind that not all are low-fat. They’re SO easy to make and work perfectly every time.
You could mix this recipe up and use whatever berries or fruit you fancy. I’m trying apple next! Or chocolate chips… YES.
These blueberry muffins are:
- Dairy-free and eggless
- Nut-free (use soy milk instead of almond)
- No refined sugars
- Low fat – only 1g per muffin!
- Only 150 calories each but surprisingly filling!
- Easy to make gluten-free. (Tried and tested)
- Perfect for breakfast or as a snack.
- 300 g / 1¾ cups self-raising flour (gluten-free, if needed)*
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ½ cup soy yoghurt
- 150 ml / ½ cup + 2 tbsp almond milk
- 120 ml / ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 190C / 375F and spray a muffin tin with low calorie cooking spray.*
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and corn starch.
- Stir in the soy yoghurt, almond milk, maple syrup, lemon zest, vanilla and vinegar and mix until combined.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer the mixture to the muffin tin. The mixture will be quite thick but should even out in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and lightly browning on top.
- Leave to cool before serving. Enjoy!
*If you can't find self-raising, use 2 teaspoons of baking powder + ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, along with the flour.
*I prefer not to use muffin liners with this recipe as they can stick to the batter too much.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 209Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 519mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 2gSugar 11gProtein 5g