You may master the perfect gluten-free muffin and you may master the perfect vegan muffin but when you try to combine the two, they often just don’t get along.
Thankfully, after a long battle in the kitchen, I came up with these muffins, which I think would please both vegans and celiacs alike!
I was so happy when I cut open one of these muffins to reveal a super fluffy and light inside!
I used Doves Farm gluten-free self raising flour in this recipe but please note that other blends may cause slightly different results.
If using plain flour, remember to add raising agents. I’ll make a note of this in the recipe though, don’t worry.
Just look how fluffy they are inside…
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 225 g / 1 1/4 cup gluten-free self-raising flour (or plain with 2 tsp baking powder + 1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 100 g / 1/2 cup caster or white sugar
- 4 tbsp apple puree or dairy-free yoghurt
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and line a muffin tin with 8 liners.
- Put the dairy-free milk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl or jar and stir. Leave it to curdle and turn into a "buttermilk" substitute, whilst you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the wet ingredients, including the buttermilk mixture.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the mixture equally between the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool before eating. Enjoy!
Tip: When using frozen blueberries, I find they can make the mixture freeze up so I don't add them until the mixture is already in the muffin cases. Then I place them into the muffin mixture individually.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 232Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 1mgSodium 249mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 3g