Comforting and delicious oatmeal in the form of a muffin! Great for an on-the-go breakfast or as a healthy, cholesterol-lowering snack.
If you love porridge but don’t always have time in the mornings to sit down and enjoy a bowl, then these breakfast porridge muffins are for you!
Or for those in the US, I should call these Breakfast Oatmeal Muffins!
I like to think of these muffins as “Porridge on the go”, if you will.
They’re moist, oaty and are subtly sweetened with a little brown sugar or coconut sugar (a low GI sugar with a caramel flavour).
Plus they’re very low fat, high fibre and high protein making them a really healthy breakfast option.
- 60 g / ⅔ cup porridge oats (I used Flahavan's Multi Seed Porridge + extra for topping)
- 75 g / ½ cup spelt flour or wholewheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 ml / ½ cup dairy-free yoghurt (I used coconut yoghurt)
- 60 ml / ¼ cup almond milk
- 55 g / ⅓ cup brown sugar + extra for topping*
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. and line a muffin tin with 6 cases.
- In a large bowl, stir together the porridge oats, spelt flour, baking powder and soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and top with a few extra oats and a sprinkling of coconut sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until dark golden brown and a cake tester / skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the muffins.
- Leave to cool for at least 5 minutes and enjoy! Can be kept in an airt-tight container for up to 2 days.
*Add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter taste. These muffins are only mildly sweet. You can also use coconut sugar.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 190Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 3mgSodium 152mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 4gSugar 13gProtein 7g