Rhubarb season is here! I adore rhubarb but it’s only around for a short space of time so we’ve got to make the most of it and I’ve got just the recipe to do that…
These rhubarb & ginger muffins are so flavourful and comforting, I think they would make the perfect Mother’s Day bake.
Plus, as always, they are completely vegan, dairy-free and egg-free so great for many dietary needs.
Vegan Rhubarb & Ginger Muffin Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients
- Self-raising flour – If you can’t get hold of self-raising, use plain flour mixed with baking powder (see recipe notes)
- Light brown sugar
- Ground ginger
- Mixed spice – Or pumpkin pie spice mix, if you’re in the US
- Chopped fresh rhubarb
- Stem ginger
- Vegetable oil – Such as sunflower, grapeseed or coconut oil
- Dairy-free milk
- Vanilla extract
- Apple cider vinegar – this is mixed with the milk which creates a dairy-free “buttermilk” and reacts with the rising agents
- Demerera sugar – For a delicious crunchy topping!
Find the full recipe below!
More Vegan Muffins
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 280 g / 2 cups self-raising flour*
- 170 g / 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice (or pumpkin pie spice mix)
- A pinch of salt
- 300 g / 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 pieces of stem ginger*, finely chopped
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup vegetable oil, (such as sunflower, grapeseed or coconut)
- 240 ml / 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp demerera sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cases.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, spices and salt.
- In a separate bowl, add the chopped rhubarb, ginger, oil, almond milk, vanilla and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry.
- Spoon the mixture equally between the muffin cases and sprinkle some demerera sugar on the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Leave to cool before enjoying!
*Or plain flour with 1 tbsp baking powder
*Stem ginger can be found in the baking aisle at most supermarkets and is packaged in a jar with syrup.