I cannot believe Christmas has just been and gone. Although, part of me is glad to be moving onto 2017 now!
Anyway, I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas day? Mine was lovely. Lazy and and centered around eating food and watching TV, just how I like to celebrate.
But of course the holiday season isn’t quite over yet and if you’re looking for some delicious vegan party food for New Year’s Eve, this recipe is a winner.
It’s simply toasted bread slices with hummus and caramelised onions on top. But it tastes divine. The perfect finger-food that just happens to be vegan-friendly!
This is the final recipe I’m sharing from my Christmassy shoot in Connemara, with my lovely cousins Aoife and Michelle. Previously, I shared with you our chocolate-covered sea salt orange and our spicy roasted cashews but I think this recipe is my favourite. I could NOT stop eating these crostinis.
- 1 white bagette
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly siced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- A tub of hummus
- Optional fresh sprigs of rosemary
- Preheat the grill and slice the bagette into 1/2 inch slices. Brush them with a tablespoon of the olive oil and grill until golden brown on both sides. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Cook on a medium heat until sticky and caramelised (approximately 10 minutes.)
- Add a tablespoon of hummus to each bread slice and smooth over the surface.
- Top with a tablespoon of the caramelized onions and a small sprig of rosemary (if using.)
- Serve right away.
Assemble these just before serving to make sure the hummus stays fresh.