A smooth, velvety vegan chocolate ganache, indulgent caramel and a shortbread tart base to make up this ‘Twix’ inspired dessert.
When you’re craving a Twix bar but you’re a food blogger so you want to make it into something fancy… This is what you get.
A DELICIOUS shortbread tart base, softy chewy caramel filling, topped with a creamy, rich chocolate ganache.
It really is just to-die-for. How could the combination of shortbread, caramel and chocolate be anything but wonderful?
I had, at first, planned to call it a Chocolate Caramel Tart but as soon as I took a bite into it, I thought “it’s like eating a Twix!” and that made me very happy.
The caramel is based on my caramel toffees recipe which gives the perfect chewy (but not too tough) texture plus a mouth-watering caramel flavour, using coconut sugar.
Want to make it gluten-free / grain-free / paleo-friendly? Swap the tart crust recipe for this one, using coconut flour and almond flour (obviously not suitable for nut allergies).
For the shortcrust base
- 230 g plain white flour*
- 110 g vegan spread or margarine
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
For the caramel layer
- 100 g / ½ cup brown sugar
- 180 ml / ¾ cup coconut cream, you can use the skimmed cream from a can of chilled coconut - reserve a tablespoon for the ganache recipe below
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
For the chocolate ganache
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
To make the shortbread base
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Use a pastry brush to brush a little oil onto a rectangular tart tin (or a 9" round tin).
- In a food processor, mix all the ingredients together until the dough starts to ball. If it's too dry, add a tiny drop of water.
- Sprinkle a surface with flour and roll the dough out, a little longer than the tin. It should be about ¾ cm thick. Wrap the dough around the rolling pin then gently place over the tin, pressing in the sides.
- Trim off the excess edges.
- Prick the base with a fork and place some baking parchment on top, filling it with ceramic beans. This is to stop the dough from rising and keeps it nice and flat as it bakes.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool whilst you prepare the rest.
To make the caramel
- Add all the ingredients to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk and lower to a medium heat. Keep whisking until it's thick and beginning to turn firm (about 10 minutes)
- Pour the caramel layer onto the shortbread base and smooth with a spatula.
- Refrigerate to set, whilst you make the chocolate ganache.
To make the chocolate ganache
- Simply melt the ingredients together over a double boiler. Whisk until thick and glossy.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before spreading over the caramel layer.
- Leave the tart to set in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
*Want to make it gluten-free / grain-free / paleo-friendly? Swap the tart crust recipe for this one, using coconut flour and almond flour (obviously not suitable for nut allergies)
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 298Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 4mgSodium 34mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 2gSugar 29gProtein 3g