When you’re craving a Twix bar but you’re a food blogger so you want to make it into something fancy… This is what you get.
A DELICIOUS shortbread tart base, softy chewy caramel filling, topped with a creamy, rich chocolate ganache.
It really is just to-die-for. How could the combination of shortbread, caramel and chocolate be anything but wonderful?
I had, at first, planned to call it a Chocolate Caramel Tart but as soon as I took a bite into it, I thought “it’s like eating a Twix!” and that made me very happy.
The caramel is based on my caramel toffees recipe which gives the perfect chewy (but not too tough) texture plus a mouth-watering caramel flavour, using coconut sugar.
Want to make it gluten-free / grain-free / paleo-friendly? Swap the tart crust recipe for this one, using coconut flour and almond flour (obviously not suitable for nut allergies).
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
For the shortcrust base
- 230 g plain white flour*
- 110 g vegan spread or margarine
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
For the caramel layer
- 100 g / 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup coconut cream, you can use the skimmed cream from a can of chilled coconut - reserve a tablespoon for the ganache recipe below
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
For the chocolate ganache
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
To make the shortbread base
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Use a pastry brush to brush a little oil onto a rectangular tart tin (or a 9" round tin).
- In a food processor, mix all the ingredients together until the dough starts to ball. If it's too dry, add a tiny drop of water.
- Sprinkle a surface with flour and roll the dough out, a little longer than the tin. It should be about 3/4 cm thick. Wrap the dough around the rolling pin then gently place over the tin, pressing in the sides.
- Trim off the excess edges.
- Prick the base with a fork and place some baking parchment on top, filling it with ceramic beans. This is to stop the dough from rising and keeps it nice and flat as it bakes.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool whilst you prepare the rest.
To make the caramel
- Add all the ingredients to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk and lower to a medium heat. Keep whisking until it's thick and beginning to turn firm (about 10 minutes)
- Pour the caramel layer onto the shortbread base and smooth with a spatula.
- Refrigerate to set, whilst you make the chocolate ganache.
To make the chocolate ganache
- Simply melt the ingredients together over a double boiler. Whisk until thick and glossy.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before spreading over the caramel layer.
- Leave the tart to set in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
*Want to make it gluten-free / grain-free / paleo-friendly? Swap the tart crust recipe for this one, using coconut flour and almond flour (obviously not suitable for nut allergies)
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 298Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 4mgSodium 34mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 2gSugar 29gProtein 3g