An easy and fun recipe for classic Rocky Road, with vegan ingredients. Including digestive biscuits, mini marshmallows and dairy-free chocolate.
I can’t believe I didn’t already have a recipe for Rocky Road on my blog.
It’s one of my favourite treats, not least because it’s so easy to make.
When I make it, I don’t even usually follow a recipe, just rough amounts of things, which you can definitely get away with, in this case.
But I thought it was about time I actually tested and wrote down some measurements…
I wanted to make this slightly Easter-themed, since it’s that time of year.
But these are obviously great all-year round. I love the combination of textures and flavours, plus they look so colourful!
To make Vegan Rocky Road, all you need is:
- Dark or dairy-free milk chocolate
- A small amount of vegan butter spread (for taste but also to make it easy to slice, once set)
- Golden syrup, for extra sweetness, if you like
- Digestive biscuits (most are vegan friendly but check packaging.) You could also use Oreos, Biscoff, Bourbons etc!
- Vegan mini marshmallows
- Extras: Vegan chocolate candies, smarties, chopped nuts
Then it’s a simple case of melting the chocolate, mixing everything together, pressing into a tin and leaving to set, before slicing and eating!
I used mainly Buttermilk’s ‘Choccy Peanutsters’ which were incredible, but also a few of my leftover ‘Good Eggs’ from Doisy & Dam, for a vague Easter theme!
I got the Buttermilk chocolates in this month’s TheVeganKind subscription box and it was really hard to reserve most of them for this recipe.
Not sure how I managed it, in fact.
And as for vegan mini marshmallows, these are fairly easy to find in health food shops, online and even some supermarkets now.
These Freedom mini marshmallows are easy to find in the UK and taste great.
- 300 g / 10.5 oz dark or dairy-free milk chocolate (chips or broken into small pieces)
- 60 g / 2 oz vegan butter spread
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 120 g / 4 oz vegan-friendly digestive biscuits, crushed
- 100 g /3.5 oz vegan mini eggs, smarties, chocolate candy etc.* or chopped nuts
- 75 g /2.5 oz vegan mini marshmallows**
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Prepare an 8 x 8 inch tin with greaseproof paper.
- Gently melt the chocolate on a double boiler and stir in the vegan butter and syrup.
- Whilst the chocolate is melting, prepare a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Reserve a few of the candies for decorating the top, if you wish.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the mixture and give everything a good stir, so the chocolate is evenly distributed. Top with the reserved candies.
- Press the mixture into the tin and leave to set for at least an hour in the fridge or overnight. Sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into 16 squares. Serve right away and keep in a container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 166Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 2mgSodium 58mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 1g