Happy June everyone! One thing I love about early June is seeing all the elderflower in full bloom. Not only is it beautiful to look at but elderflower is one of my favourite flavours.
As soon as I see it, I start planning recipes. And as with most elderflower recipes, this one focuses on pairing it with lemon flavours.
So this is a tart with a lemon and elderflower curd filling, topped with mixed berries. Absolutely delicious!
The crust it made up of coconut flour and ground almonds to make a sweet shortcrust pastry and the filling is paired with fresh lemon juice and a hint of vanilla with a light texture.
- 150 g / 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 35 g / 1/2 cup coconut flour
- Small pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted or olive oil
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup water
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup elderflower cordial
- 2 tbsp agar flakes
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 - 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mixture of fresh berries
To make the crust
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 350°F and lightly grease a loose-base 23cm tart tin or two 12.5cm tins.
- In a food processor, mix together the ground almonds, coconut flour, salt and maple syrup. Add in the oil 1 tbsp at a time until the mixture resembles dense breadcrumbs that shapes like a dough when pressed.
- Using your fingers or the back of a spoon, press the dough into the tart tin, making sure the sides and bottom are coated evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden.
To make the filling
- In a small saucepan, combine the water and elderflower cordial. Taste and add more cordial if needed. Sprinkle the agar flakes on top and allow them to soften for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix 60ml / 1/4 cup of the coconut milk with the arrowroot powder in a small bowl and set aside for later.
- Bring the elderflower and agar mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Stir for a 5-10 minutes until all the agar flakes have been dissolved. Stir in the maple syrup.
- Add the arrowroot and coconut mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk briefly for a few seconds and then reduce the heat. The mixture should thicken considerably.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
To assemble the tart(s)
- Make sure the tart shell is completely cool. Pour the elderflower filling into the tarts and leave to set in the fridge for 1 hour. Arrange the berries on top, pressing them in slightly. Leave to set for a further hour.