An easy, healthy and incredible-tasting korma sauce that is naturally vegan and low carb too. Great for last minute dinners, to use up whatever vegetables you have in the fridge.
There is nothing better on a cold winter night than a hot, spicy curry. Don’t you think?
This sauce is so creamy and full of flavour, I find myself craving it every week.
And it’s so easy to make, allowing you to have a super quick weeknight meal to hand.
Once you have the sauce made, then it’s merely a case of frying an onion in some oil, mixing in some veggies, tofu or whatever else you like and simmering with this sauce for 10-15 minutes.
And dinner is served!
How to make a vegan Korma
- Coconut oil – Or other vegetable oil
- Red chilli pepper
- Curry powder
- Tomato puree
- Ground almonds – Or almond flour (this helps thicken the sauce and gives a great flavour)
- Coconut milk
- Vegetable stock
To create the sauce, you first fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in the oil with the spices.
Then blend with the red of the ingredients to create a thick, flavourful sauce.
Making a vegan Korma curry
In these pictures, I’ve used tofu, cauliflower, red pepper and spinach.
It’s a great way to use up whatever you have in your fridge and pantry.
Simply cook whatever vegetables you are using, perhaps with some tofu or chickpeas, until softened or browned and then add the sauce for everything to cook in.
Low Carb Serving Suggestions
For a low carb curry, I love using fried tofu, red peppers and spinach but you can also use a mixture of mushrooms, cashews, tempeh, broccoli, cauliflower or courgette.
Serve with some cauliflower rice (that’s just grated cauliflower heated up!) or some of these vegan keto naan breads, which I highly recommend.
But if you are on a higher carb diet (like me), I also recommend serving this with cooked potatoes, cauliflower and peas.
My absolute favourite! And served with brown rice, of course.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 x 400 ml / 14 oz tin of coconut milk
- 60 ml / ¼ cup vegetable stock, (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic and chilli. Cook for 2 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the curry powder and salt and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, almonds and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer then remove from the heat.
- Add to a blender or use a stick blender in the pot to make a smooth, creamy sauce.
- To use the sauce, simply fry an onion with some oil and then add whatever veggies or other ingredients you like and cook for about 3 minutes, before adding the sauce and simmering on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add a bit more coconut milk or some vegetable stock if you want to make it stretch further.
- Serve with rice or these keto vegan naan breads!
Nutrition InformationYield 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 82Saturated Fat 3gSodium 150mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 1g