Jam connoisseurs may turn their noses up at this cheat’s version of homemade jam because it’s not technically jam.
It’s more of a thick strawberry puree or a sauce but it works like jam and tastes wonderful!
It only takes 5 minutes to make, uses no sugar and tastes delicious dolloped on scones or topped on your oatmeal.
Important: If using the xylitol version, please be careful if you have dogs in your house. Make sure they are out of the kitchen when you cook and the xylitol is stored in a tight container where they cannot get to it!
But you don’t have to use xylitol, which is just for a low-carb option. I love making this with agave or maple syrup too.
- 1 cup strawberries, roughly chopped
- Sweetener of choice: 1 tbsp xylitol, 3 drops of stevia or 1 tbsp maple syrup*
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or tapioca flour
- Mix the strawberries, xylitol and arrowroot together in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, whisk for a few minutes until the mixture turns very thick and stretchy.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely before serving.
- Will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
*The sweetener you use will depend on dietary needs and taste. For low carb, opt for stevia or xylitol. Maple syrup is a sugar but is unrefined.