It had been far too long since I had a Crunchie bar. For those unfamiliar with this chocolate bar, it is basically just honeycomb wrapped in chocolate. Sweet, crunchy and very light.
Since Halloween is coming up, I figured a confectionary treat of some kind was in order. Also, I always associate honeycomb candy with Halloween. Probably because it is also sometimes referred to as ‘Hokey Pokey’. AND because it is also referred to as ‘Cinder Toffee’ which is traditionally eaten around Bonfire Night, which is coming up too…
The good news, is this recipe is super simple and needs only 4 ingredients. The challenging part is you have to work quickly so make sure you have everything prepared before you begin, such as your tin lined or greased and everything measured out and to hand.
Follow the photo instructions below or scroll straight down to the bottom of the post for the full text.
How to make vegan Crunchie Bars
- 200g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g dark chocolate or dairy-free milk chocolate chips (or a bar broken into small pieces)
- Line or grease a 20cm square tin. Have the tin nearby when you are cooking.
- Add the sugar and golden syrup to a large, deep saucepan. Put on a low heat and allow the sugar to gently dissolve.
- Once the granules have disappeared, bring to a boil then immediately lower to a simmer and cook for 5-8 minutes until the sugar turns a golden amber colour.
- Remove from the heat, add in the bicarbonate of soda and work quickly to stir until dissolved and immediately pour the bubbly mixture into the prepared tin.
- Allow to set for 1-2 hours.
- Meanwhile, add the chocolate to a heat-proof bowl and melt on a double boiler or in the microwave. Allow to cool slightly.
- Once the honeycomb is completely set, remove from the tin and paper and break into pieces. You can use a knife to try and gently break into squares but be warned - it breaks easily!
- Dip each chunk or bar into the melted chocolate and transfer to a wire rack with paper or a tray underneath to collect the drips. Allow to set in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.
Best kept in the fridge or a cool, dark place. Will keep for about 3 weeks in an air-tight container.