Let me introduce my new favourite pasta dish… or just new favourite dish, in general: Creamy pasta with spinach & nutmeg, topped with cheesy, garlic breadcrumbs.
Sounds good, right? It really is.
The weather is finally heating up now in the UK but I tend to crave comforting dishes like this all year round.
Plus, you never know when to expect a cold, rainy day here, so this dish is perfect for then! It’s surprisingly easy to put together and can be ready in 25 minutes.
You’ll want to add these breadcrumbs to all your meals, they’re so delicious!
But so simple to make. It’s simply stale bread (or toast) added to a food processor with some garlic and nutritional yeast to create a crunchy, flavourful topping.
I can imagine it would be AMAZING on some vegan mac n cheese.
This dish is:
- Vegetarian & vegan
- Dairy-free & egg-free
- Nut-free (use a nut-free milk)
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know in the comments, leave a rating and tag #WallflowerKitchen on instagram so I can share your creations in my stories!
- 180 g dried penne or other pasta
For the cheesy garlic breadcrumbs
- 1 slice crusty bread, slightly stale or lightly toasted is best
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves
For the creamy nutmeg sauce
- 240 ml / 1 cup almond milk or soy milk
- 1 heaped tbsp cornflour
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3 handfuls of fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the pasta to a large saucepan filled with water and cook according to the packet's instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the breadcrumbs by toasting the bread before adding it to a food processor, along with garlic and nutritional yeast. Blitz until you have large chunky breadcrumbs.
- Next make the creamy sauce by blending the almond milk and cornflour together and adding it to a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the nutmeg and spinach.
- Once the pasta has cooked, combine with the sauce and spinach and divide between 2 bowls.
- Top with the garlic crumbs and add salt and pepper, to taste.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 418Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 351mgCarbohydrates 70gFiber 9gSugar 9gProtein 22g