This vegan hot cocoa mix makes a great homemade gift, especially when teamed with this super easy DIY personalised mug. It’s quick to make too, so if you’re looking for a last-minute gift idea – this is for you!
DIY Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix & Personalized Mug Gift
You will need…
- A plain white mug
- Sharpie pens
- A cellophane food bag
- Vegan hot cocoa mix and marshmallows (scroll down for recipe)
- Gift tag
- Optional extras: Vegan candy cane or cinnamon stick
- With your plain white mug and sharpie pens, design your personalized mug by drawing something Christmassy or writing the recipient’s name.
- Position the cellophane bag inside the mug and fill with the hot cocoa mix (recipe below) and top with the marshmallows.
- Tie the bag with a piece of festive ribbon and attach a candy cane or cinnamon stick with a bow.
- Attach a gift tag with instructions on how to prepare the hot chocolate (see recipe below)
- Ta da! An easy, personalized gift :-)
Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 60 g / 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 70 g / 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tbsp powdered rice milk if you can't get hold of this, you can leave it out but the hot chocolate will taste more bitter
- Vegan marshmallows I used these
Finely chop the chocolate. You can either use a knife, grater or to make things easier use a food processor. Add to a medium sized bowl.
Sift in the cocoa powder then stir in the coconut palm sugar and powdered rice milk. Mix until well combined.
Chop the marshmallows into smaller pieces to make mini marshmallows (unless they are already mini sized!)
You can store this mixture in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
To make the hot cocoa: Simply whisk 3 tbsp of the hot cocoa mix with 240ml / 1 cup dairy-free in a saucepan over a medium heat. Once combined and warmed, pour into a mug, top with mini marshmallows and enjoy!
Recipe NotesPaleo option: This instant hot chocolate mix can easily be made Paleo-friendly by using powdered almond milk, omitting the marshmallows and candy cane and perhaps adding some coconut whipped cream to go on top!