I first tried this recipe out with Follow Your Heart’s Vegan “Egg” (which is amazing, by the way) and loved the way it turned out but it occurred to me that a lot of people might not know about or be able to get hold of the vegan egg so I tested it out with some chickpea flour instead and the results were delicious!
This is so easy to throw together and makes such a comforting meal.
You can serve it as a side dish, as part of an Asian feast, or simply load it with extra veggies and make a whole, delicious meal out of it, which is my favourite way to eat it!
Chickpea flour does a pretty good job as an egg replacer but I do find that a few extra flavours help make this extra “eggy”.
Secondly, I like to add some nutritional yeast or “nooch” as we like to call it! It’s usually used to give food a cheesy flavour but it somehow really adds to the overall flavour here.
Lastly, a pinch of garlic powder seems to really lift the flavour.
These extras are optional but recommended if you want that eggy taste to come through. It will still taste great without, though!
This dish is:
- Vegetarian and vegan
- Low calorie (only 223 kcal per serving)
- Low fat (only 2.5g per serving)
- Quick and easy to make – ready in 10 minutes!
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour
- 160 ml / 2/3 cup water
- 1 low-salt vegetable stock cube
- optional 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- optional 1 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 500 g pre-cooked jasmine rice, I used 1 packet of low-fat microwavable rice
- 50 g / 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 5 spring onions
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce, gluten-free soy sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour and water until smooth. Add in the nutritional yeast, black salt, stock cube and garlic powder.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and add the "egg" mixture. Leave to firm up before breaking up with a wooden spoon.
- Once the chickpea mixture has turned into an eggy scramble, add the rice, peas, onions and tamari sauce and cook until well combined and the rice is hot.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 223Carbohydrates 41.1gFiber 2.6gProtein 6.6g
Have you tried chickpea “scrambled eggs” before? Or the new Follow Your Heart VeganEgg?