Thank you Sacla’ for sponsoring this recipe!
Creating a savoury, gluten-free and vegan muffin was no easy feat but I am soooo happy with the result!
These muffins are like a cross between cornbread, quiche and a fluffy muffin. You wouldn’t know they were gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free.
And the flavour? Oh my, there is plenty of that. The vegan pesto definitely steals the show and adds a comforting but strong (not overpowering) flavour throughout, with just the right amount of saltiness.
Then you get a sweet, slightly smoky hit from the sun-dried tomatoes every time you bite into a piece. SO yum.
I ended up serving a few of these with a salad as part of a lunch but you could also grab them to go as a breakfast, serve them as a side dish, as an alternative to bread or just eat for a delicious snack.
So as mentioned, pesto is the main flavour of these muffins and if you don’t tend to make your own (because who’s got time for that) then Sacla’ do an amazing free-from pesto that tastes EXACTLY like the dairy-laden kind.
And you can head over to my instagram to enter to win a free-from hamper from Sacla’! All dairy-free, vegan and gluten-free.
The hamper includes: 1 x Free From Basil; 1 x Free From Tomato; 1 x Free From White Sauce for Lasagne; 1 x Free From Bolognese Sauce; 1 x Free From Creamy Whole Cherry Tomato Sauce; 1 x Free From Basil Pesto and Tomato stir-in; 1 x Free From creamy tomato stir in; 1 x Mushroom Risotto; 1 x copy of FreeFrom all’Italiana by Anna Del Conte.
To enter: Visit this Instagram post, double-tap to like and tag a friend who you think might also like to win, in the instagram post comments (not on this blog post!) Good luck!
Terms & Conditions
The promoting brand is Sacla UK Limited whose registered premises is at 16 Warwick Road, Beaconsfield HP9 2PE. Employees, officers and directors (or any persons connected to them including spouses, co-habitants, children, siblings, parents or grandparents) of Sacla UK Limited and Digital Natives Content and their agents are not permitted to enter.
The competition is not associated with Instagram and is open to UK residents only.
Only one entry per person. Entries submitted by automated competition entry mechanisms are not eligible and will be deleted
The competition will run from 14/2/17 to 21/2/17. Entrants must ‘Like’ competition image and tag a friend in the comments. The winner will be chosen at the discretion of the poster.Winners will be announced on 22/2/17 on the competition comment thread and informed via direct message. They must respond by 29/2/17 to claim their prize.
The prize is to include every product from the Sacla’ Free From range which will be distributed by Sacla UK.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- A handful of finely chopped basil, parsley and chives
- 65 g / 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 80 g / 1/2 cup polenta
- 45 g / 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp Sacla free-from pesto
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, or soy yoghurt
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- A handful of sundried tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 190C / 370F and grease a non-stick muffin tin with oil or use muffin liners, if preferred.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together the gluten-free flour, polenta, chickpea flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- To the frying pan, stir in the pesto, cream cheese (or yoghurt), water and vinegar. Mix in the sundried tomatoes.
- Add the wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the muffin tins, filling each hole about three-quarters of the way up.
- (Optional) stir in a little extra pesto on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool before serving.