Today I’m sharing my latest collaboration with my absolute favourite clothing company, Braintree Clothing!
Braintree have a floral theme going on in the latest collection so I decided to create something using my favourite edible flower, rose. Paired with pistachios, these cookies have a Middle Eastern vibe to them but also a Christmassy feel and make wonderful Christmas gifts!
The twist is that these shortbread cookies use olive oil in place of butter. Surprisingly, it results in the most delicious, melt-in-your-mouth biscuit, you definitely won’t miss the butter.
- 300 g (2 1/2 cups) white spelt flour, (you can also use plain white flour)
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 100 g (1/2 cup) golden caster sugar
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) mild olive oil
- 1 tsp rosewater
- 50 g (1/2 cup) chopped pistachios
- Dried rose petals, to decorate (optional)
- Mix the spelt flour, corn starch and sugar together in a food processor.
- Add the olive oil and rosewater and mix until it forms a soft dough.
- Add to a floured board and kneed in half the chopped pistachios.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out to about ¾ cm thickness. Use a cookie cutter or upside down glass to cut into shapes and place on the baking sheet.
- Use the remaining chopped pistachios to press into the tops of the cookies.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool before serving. Decorate with dried rose petals!