Note: This post was updated May 2016. (New photos)
The recipe for these mini muffins is loosely based on my Raw Cake Pops recipe, which I’ve been craving lately. I remember thinking how the lemon flavour would work well on it’s own (without a coating) as a mini lemon poppy seed muffin. And it does!
Something about the combination of almond flour and coconut flour in these muffin bites gives a cake-like texture which completely convinces you that you are biting into a muffin. These two ingredients also make them high in fibre and very filling, meaning you can satisfy your lemon poppy seed muffin craving for just 55 calories and get all the raw goodness that goes into them! I also like to add a pinch of tumeric to give them a yellow colour and swap the poppy seeds for chia seeds to give an extra superfood boost.
- 50 g / 1/2 cup ground almonds / almond flour
- 55 g / 1/2 cup raw coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric, optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- 3 tbsp agave nectar / 5 pitted medjool dates / stevia, see notes*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 heaped tbsp poppyseeds or chia seeds
- In a food processor, mix the ground almonds, coconut flour and tumeric until it's well combined.
- Add the vanilla, agave, lemon zest and coconut oil. Mix again.
- Add the lemon juice in a tablespoon at a time until the mixture becomes dense and easy to roll.
- Lastly, add the poppyseeds and mix again so they are well distributed.
- Scoop one tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball. Add to a mini muffin case and repeat with the rest of the mixture. It should make approximately 16 mini muffins.
- Keep refrigerated for 3-5 days. Enjoy!
*If you want to make these sugar-free and low carb, swap the agave for a few drops of stevia, to taste and add more almond milk as needed.
See the photo below for the mini muffin bites made with dates instead of agave.
Nutrition InformationYield 16
Amount Per Serving Calories 55Saturated Fat 1gCarbohydrates 5gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 1g
[color-box color=”green”]If you’ve tried one of my recipes, I would love to see and hear about it! Leave a comment below and tag your social media posts with #WallflowerKitchen :-) [/color-box]
Here are the mini muffin bites made with dates instead of agave. The appearance is slightly different and it has a more subtle sweetness but is just as delicious!