This afternoon I’ve been planting some new herbs, including this citrus-scented orange thyme which I’d never used in cooking before but felt I definitely ought to try because the smell was so appetising…
A dish I like to make often is carrots cooked in orange juice with herbs, and thought this would be the perfect herb to try it with. The result was delicious!
The orange juice brings out the carrot’s natural sweetness whilst the orange-thyme gives it a herby yet zesty edge, mmmm.
This makes the perfect side dish for the holidays and special occasions. Serve it with some roast potatoes and my Lentil Roast with Balsamic Onion Gravy. You’ll thank me.
These carrots are:
- Vegetarian and vegan
- Gluten-free and grain-free
- 250 g baby carrots
- 4 tbsp pure squeezed orange juice
- optional small pinch of coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- A handful of orange thyme, or ordinary thyme, torn into small pieces
- Lightly peel the baby carrots and plunge them into a pot of boiling water. Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Drain the carrots and return to the pan, adding the dairy-free butter and gently frying for a minute.
- Add the orange juice and orange thyme then simmer the carrots for another 3 minutes. Adding the extra pinch of sugar if you wish.
- Make sure the carrots are evenly cooked in the juice and when ready, transfer to a serving dish with the juices left in the pan. Add a few extra pieces of the orange thyme on top for a decoration. Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 60 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 44mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 1g